I want a LF camera... someday.

First, thanks for the replies, and sorry for the late answer.

Since I'm running on limited resources, getting a 4x5 camera first only to get a 8x10 anyway later is unaffordable at the moment. I'd rather get a 8x10 with a 4x5 reducing back from the start, and eventually get the 4x5 if I need feel like the 8x10 is too big and I have money to spare.

The Ries tripods look really sturdy and nice, but also quite heavy and big. Are there any other non-wooden tripods that would be able to hold a 8x10 field camera? How about the "common" tripod makers like Gitzo etc?

I've read very good things about the Lodima paper. I'll check to see what I can find out about the Fuji paper around here - could be a good second option. I'll proably try that option as soon as I have some little confidence in my developing work.

As for lenses, I've looked at the Nikkor W 300mm F5.6 with a Copal #3 shutter for about USD700 in very good condition with a one-year warranty, but I'm wondering if it's a good price. Some advice on this would be highly appreciated. No lens board is included, but since I'm still looking for a camera, that is rather a good thing. In the future I'd then probably get a Nikkor M 450mm F9 and then start thinking about some wider lenses from there.

Also, can I just store film in my fridge? How about paper and other stuff? Any special advice on storing film, negatives, papers etc? Temperature setting etc?

Thanks a lot guys! Because of you my dream of using a 8x10 is getting closer to reality by the day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back