Ice and snow

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An ice storm, followed the next day by a snow storm, reeked a lot of havoc last week. However it created many photo opportunities.

A mantle of white covers the back yard.
A mantel of white.jpg

Looking like a snow monster about to devour our travel trailer, several birch tree limbs were broken.
snow monster 2.JPG

Followed shortly by rain and temperatures in the mid 30's, the ice and snow were gone, but the clean up was just beginning. :)

You can almost feel the bitter chill. I don't fancy sleeping in that caravan in that temperature. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I was in reading UK in the 80s and saw this sort of thing
The telephone wires crossing the road were up to 30mm thick with the ice,
The wires were being cut before they could fall on drivers and people walking
I learnt that riding a motorcycle in that was a really really stupid idea...
I was lucky to walk away with nothing worse than needing to change my pants ....

I was in reading UK in the 80s and saw this sort of thing
The telephone wires crossing the road were up to 30mm thick with the ice,
The wires were being cut before they could fall on drivers and people walking
I learnt that riding a motorcycle in that was a really really stupid idea...
I was lucky to walk away with nothing worse than needing to change my pants ....

Two wheels and such things don't mix:cool-48:

I have gone back and had a long look at your images
I think they are brill. The blacks are black and the whites are white all the image is without a colour cast
So well shot

No they don’t
Car in front big car behind and the cap closed until all of just touched
Almost a
Your it tag

The image was shot in color. It looks the same, except the there was a blue tint over the photo. I had a polarizer on instead of a UL filter.

I am not good at post processing; so try as I might, I could not remove the blue tint. I am sure others with better PP skills could have. So I simple desaturated the photo to get rid of the blue tint. I did not have to adjust the contrast or sharpen the photo as sometimes happens when I convert to B&W. It was white snow and black tree trunks in bright sun. :)

As one would expect there were large areas without power for several days. Fortunately we managed to avoid that scenario. Living in the country, I do have a small generator I can use to provide some creature comforts.

Well it’s ever better given what you had to do

Nice winter shots.

Fortunately my trailer is snow free, at least for now, ready to hit the road as soon as I get my vaccination. Maybe I'll see you on the road.

Pete,

That is the hope here also. We are scheduled for the vaccine in mid Feb. and plan to head south for a few weeks. We do sometimes dry camp at the local State Parks for a weekend of snowshoeing.

So if you see and old guy fussing with 1910 view camera, stop and say "Hi".

A few photos composed under the hood with cut film, make you appreciate a digital all the more.

Take care,

Nice set. You captured the moments well with those sagging limbs. That trailer looks to be in danger of having a huge branch for a hat.

The trailer was a heart stopper when I fist stepped out. Then I realized the limb has hinged and not broken off, because the branches stopped at the roof top before it could hinge far enough to break. Still I had to wait a couple of days before the weather reached the mid 30's and I could unstick the frozen limbs. The trailer now resides in the open side yard with not a tree around.

The large pine tree on the left side on the picture manage to string back as soon as the snow and ice load was removed.

Snow falls almost always make for good photos. This was a rare event in Indiana and I am glad I had my camera at hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back