Ice in Geneva

enzodm

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some ice from Swiss, after a day of wind (&cold, of course).

Thank you all. It was indeed a peculiar landscape...

You're a braver man then I. I would have remained a winter couch potato for sure. While both are nice photos, try cropping the 1st picture so that there is a lot less sky. The 2nd picture becomes so much stronger if you crop it so that the top of the wall covered in ice is the top of the picture. Also there is a slight tilt issue.

Great shot, mostly because I've never seen ice quite like that.......=) I still don't know if I want to see it in person....lol

Thank you Joel, in fact in the first one I just applied the usual thirds rule (by the way, straight from camera) but some less sky may be better. Regarding the second one, I'll think at it. Although it would give more the idea of extreme ice, I like also the paradox of the "safe" harbour...
It's not my city: I was there for work for two weeks, and this was the middle week end, free time and just an hotel room to stay in. So I walked. By the way, there were lots of people shooting such ice, mostly with dSLR (someone told me is not so usual).

Mishele, someone was appreciating it :)
IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1962b.jpg

How does it happen? I lived along the shores of Lake Michigan once during the winter. The pier and light house do get ice like that, but that's because they are pretty far away from the shore line. The shore line itself doesn't get iced like that.

It seems that the ice forms on everything along the shore line in your photos. Is it just moisture accumulating on it, or water splashing onto the shore and freeze?

It seems that the ice forms on everything along the shore line in your photos. Is it just moisture accumulating on it, or water splashing onto the shore and freeze?
it's not my city, so I do not know exactly, however the day before was very windy, so I suppose water splashing. Up to 30m inside.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back