Iceland Landscape, critique needed

cornish_mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi

This the first time posting in this forum, please could I get a critique on this picture I took while in Iceland?

I saw this composition and instantly loved it!

Please be as open you can, would love feedback on this image.

Thanks!

MkmqG7Q.jpg

ISO100
1/125
f13

Shot with 550d w/ Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM

I quite like it. It's a nice image. It's reasonably well composed. But for me the lighting is a little flat. I've been in this area of Iceland in Winter where you get 4 golden hours as the sun is low in the sky all the time so was spoilt. It looks like the Sun was fairly high in the sky.

I think it's a good image. Wouldn't win any prizes as there's nothing exceptional about it. Shoot there at dawn and the light would be quite different.

thereyougo is being brutally honest with you however I would sugar the pill a little for you. Quite often in landscape photography unless you are looking at sunrise or sunset (which in themselves you could argue are a little clichéd) the thing that catapaults an image from being "merely" technically accomplished to outstanding is the thickness of a hair. It is an unforseen chance event, or an artifact of the light that perhaps you only find back in the darkroom. For every prize winner any photographer can take hundreds of exposures of the exact same view, possibly from slightly varying positions.

In other words don't be discouraged by faint praise but rather take heart from having produced a well composed, well exposed image. The next time will be a prize winner.

I like the image, I agree though the time of day prob wasn't ideal. The leading line of the trail is nice, and composition is nicely done. However I do envy you for being able to capture images in Iceland. It looks beautiful. Nice work.

Thanks for all of your feedback really appreciate it.

I'll try and post some more this week!

Very pretty location! :)

as others have mentioned the light is a little flat. You could increase contrast a bit and raise your exposure by maybe half a stop which will help some

Most reactions

Back