ideal file size

maman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Whats the ideal size for uploading photos to your website?

I have a flash slideshow gallery, and my inital uploads at around 300 kbs were slow to load. I lowered the sizes to around 50 kbs and now have lost image quality - they look blahhhhh!

What's the ideal size for uploading in terms of speed/quality?

Thanks.

My average file size is about 400kb-1meg. It works fine in terms of upload time and viewing.

I usually get mine to between 100 and 200kb and I think they look fine.

There are a couple ways to manage the file size. The first is the actual size of the image, in pixels. You don't need thousands of pixels (per side) for web viewing. 500 to 800 pixels is plenty wide for most web viewing scenarios.
After size, there is compression/quality. When I save JPEGs for web, I usually set the quality at around 75, which reduces the file size quite a bit, but doesn't show much/any quality loss.

And how fast is your internet connection? 300kb may seem slow to you but I'd except that to load in 2-4 seconds on my connection, and I consider my connection to be somewhat average too.

Mine are roughly 150kb, each at 72ppi, roughly 400 pixeles on the log side, resized in PS and sharpened at each downsize stage, normally 3, then saved for web at 65%, compromise on image quality but not too bad as only a fool would post decent resolution for the web, loads pretty quick on any connection as few here have lightening fast broadband, especially outside the major cities. H

Mine are about 100Kb-200kb on my own web site - 600px - 700px on the longest edge (ppi doesn't matter)

on forums I would opst images about 70Kb-100kb again around 60px on the longest edge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back