What's new

Ideal (or must have) digital camera filters...

stickman.walks

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Location
tokyo : japan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a new Canon G12 with filter adapter (58mm). I am curious to know what (if any) must-have filters would be to use for digitals. Before getting the adapter, and having a G10, I wasn`t even using any filters. I know the colored ones are a waste because these are effects you can add/remove in Photoshop (or so I`ve read). All I bought so far was a Marumi DHG UV Filter. I am not advocating that suddenly I need 30 filter collection, but wasn't sure if anyone considers a few as mandatory to have on hand.

Thanks.
 
You don't need a UV filter.... Film did, Digital doesn't! If you are wanting it for lens protection, a Ultra Clear or something similar is a better bet. Marumi's are are supposed to be decent filters.. especially the DHG series.

Typically I will carry a CPL (circular polarizer), some ND filters of various densities to help control exposure, and a Graduated ND Filter for helping to keep sky well exposed.
 
I leave a CPL on my 10-22 all the time as I almost entirely use it for landscapes. I'm not sure if that would be applicable for your needs, but it is, in my opinion, a must have, if you are shooting outdoors.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom