Ideas and Neccessities for New Studio?

JessicaBlair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband and I are purchasing a new building. One big enough for his office and shop (he has a used car dealership), which also has a room that is 17 x 28 ft for me to use as a studio. I am brand new to the photography business and am taking this to a whole new level with having my own studio. My questions are, what are the absolute neccessities to have? And what are some good suggestions on set up and wall colors, and flooring types??? On one wall (28ft) there are two big windows and a big double doors. On one of the 17 ft walls there is two separate doors in one corner (they are right next to each other) And there is another door on the other 17ft door. Thanks for ANY ideas and input!!

Post a picture if you can that way is easier for people to know exactly how it looks.

Wow, that's a nice large space. How high are the ceilings? It's a real PITA if you don't have high enough ceilings.

What is absolutely necessary? A camera....that's about it. The rest is up to you and your creativity.

Of course, you may want lighting, backdrop, props. Depending on the type of photography you will be doing, you might want a dressing room/wash room. Maybe a gallery/client meeting/sales room.

I'd suggest getting a look at other photographer's studios. In person would be great but you can also search the web for photos.

I think that some common threads will be that photographers tend to make their studio to suit their style...and also adapt their style to work with what they have.

One theory/technique is to just get what you need for the job at hand. When you have a job that requires something more/extra...then that's when you add that bit of gear. Eventually you should have just about everything you need, and hopefully nothing that you don't need.

What type of work are you going to do Jessica, this would help us to advise, but for me it's having black curtains that I can pull across the walls to help cutting stray light bouncing around. If the ceiling height is enough paint the ceiling black and hang from four pulleys a floating ceiling painted white so you can change the angle of, it's easily made from wooden frame and painted canvas

I'm looking to do mainly portraits for now...The ceiling is around 8-9 ft. I'll see if I can go and take some pictures tomorrow, not sure if I will be able to though. Thanks SO much for all the help!!!

My husband and I are purchasing a new building. One big enough for his office and shop (he has a used car dealership), which also has a room that is 17 x 28 ft for me to use as a studio. I am brand new to the photography business and am taking this to a whole new level with having my own studio. My questions are, what are the absolute neccessities to have? And what are some good suggestions on set up and wall colors, and flooring types??? On one wall (28ft) there are two big windows and a big double doors. On one of the 17 ft walls there is two separate doors in one corner (they are right next to each other) And there is another door on the other 17ft door. Thanks for ANY ideas and input!!

Im in a similiar situation. Every day I think of something new that I should get. A mirror is pretty good to have, since people generally like to check their hair before the portrait. :D

I've been trying to find props that would be cute for kids pictures. Sams Club had a toy horse for $40 and $65 or so, the 2nd being larger that looks great. I wanted to get a rocking horse but they were all $120 online. I hope sams gets a kids sleigh soon. :D I got some halloween costums for half price with angel wings, im not sure how photogetic the princess/angel dresses will be, mostly I wanted the wings. : ) I dont plan to do prop focused pictures, but a few props are good to have. :D Oh and dollar tree had a small horse head on a stick that is pretty cute. Only cost $1. :)

Now I am looking for a good looking brick wall paper or something like that to put on one corner of the studio where the wall comes out. I figured it would be a good sub when the weather isnt good and dont have to leave the studio. I do have a window on the one wall that I was going to cover over, but then it occured to me I could either blue screen the windows to put a winter wonderland scene in during post, or to print 24 prints to put in the window itself. Not sure on this yet. :)

Im also keeping an eye open for a nice classy looking chair with no arms.

Ive also put up a 16x20 canvas on the wall infront of the table that I will be doing my sales pitch, and below that I have some 8x10 frames with samples of black and white, sepia, selective color, and custom borders. Its easier to sell these when the customer can see them. I also have a 11x14 "painted" portrait that I want to frame and up up on the other wall.

I also should pick up a few lamps for the studio, it can get dark in there with out the windows. :)

I'm looking to do mainly portraits for now...The ceiling is around 8-9 ft. I'll see if I can go and take some pictures tomorrow, not sure if I will be able to though. Thanks SO much for all the help!!!

For portraits 8-9 is fine. i think full shots will be a bit more difficult tho. you could really use a little more height.

good luck with everything

Most reactions

Back