Ideas for Banquet Photos?

AngelosPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This coming Saturday, December 22nd, there will be a major event in Hawaii for all invited married couples to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, which is also known as their Golden Year.

There are only two photographers (me and my friend). My friend will be doing the photo booth the entire time with his studio lights. I'm the photographer of the event inside and outside.

The problem I have are ideas (perhaps creative ideas) for this event.

Here's my list of the shots I'm going for. Try not to give me any ideas that's already listed. Thank you :)
----------

-Before the event (Tables, Food, Decorations, Set-Ups, etc.)

-People entering the event (Special guest, VIPs, etc.)

-Performances

-Wide-Angle shots of the entire place (inside, before the event).

-Wide-Angle shots of the entire place (inside, during the event).

-Shots from an angle above (before and during the event).

-Shots of the building.

-People laughing (Happy candid shots). <---This would probably be hard***

***The event lasts around 2-3 hours. There will be a slideshow, so all the lights will be dimmed down, or worst, no lights at all (Gosh darn it!). I believe most of the guests will laugh during the slideshow, which causes me to have difficulties on getting the shots when they're laughing. *Sigh*....The only time I could get their laughs is when they're either having a discussion or watching a funny performance (if there will be one).

So, I need all of your help especially for you creative ones out there! There is only one problem, getting creative images. It's not required, but it's what I'm aiming for. The other problems (such as the dimmed lights or no lights at all during the slideshow) are not that big of a deal.

Thing is, at a party, you don't need a bunch of pics of the scenery. People like to see themselves in pics at a party. Get lots of people. If you see people talking and chatting, ask for a pic. If they are just standing there, a smile gets forced. Pic doesn't look good. You can get a few of the decorations, but don't worry if they don't come out. Nobody will miss em. Use a good wide angle lens and be friendly.

My bud gets most of work as a party photog. You can check out some of his shots here Parties « Jaszek Photography and also check out his photography facebook for tons more pics for ideas.
Sup boborone? This is the last place I would expect to find you lol. Not sure if you know, but that name is hated here (Jaszek) lol.

As to the shots. You are pretty much spot on. Also, bring a flash, shoot at -2 or whatever will be good for you. Bring a longer lens for the candid shots so they dont see you. Also, don't be scared to tell the people to just pose for a shot if there is some "free time" where they are not being shown anything or when they arent eating. Walk around to each table and get a few shots of everyone sitting at each one. Depending on how the people will be set up and how many, you shouldn't have trouble with the slideshow shots. You will have light from the projector and everyone will be facing the light. Don't be afraid to use higher ISOs. Last party I shot I was shooting at 10000 ISO and up, since I forgot my flash (wasn't a paid gig). Also, Good Luck. Maybe you can get your friend to do some shots in the room as well since the people wont be going to the booth ALL the time.

And I REALLY need to update the parties portfolio. lol

Last edited:
My bud gets most of work as a party photog. You can check out some of his shots here Parties « Jaszek Photography and also check out his photography facebook for tons more pics for ideas.
Sup boborone? This is the last place I would expect to find you lol. Not sure if you know, but that name is hated here (Jaszek) lol.

As to the shots. You are pretty much spot on. Also, bring a flash, shoot at -2 or whatever will be good for you. Bring a longer lens for the candid shots so they dont see you. Also, don't be scared to tell the people to just pose for a shot if there is some "free time" where they are not being shown anything or when they arent eating. Walk around to each table and get a few shots of everyone sitting at each one. Depending on how the people will be set up and how many, you shouldn't have trouble with the slideshow shots. You will have light from the projector and everyone will be facing the light. Don't be afraid to use higher ISOs. Last party I shot I was shooting at 10000 ISO and up, since I forgot my flash (wasn't a paid gig). Also, Good Luck. Maybe you can get your friend to do some shots in the room as well since the people wont be going to the booth ALL the time.

And I REALLY need to update the parties portfolio. lol

Hahaha hey man. What's up? Yeah you do, they're all from the Halloween party. Need to put the girl doing the air splits up. Nice shot ;)

And I don't post much, this place is kinda pretentious.

Most reactions

Back