Ideas for Cold Weather Shooting

smcaskil

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.crimesceneblog.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I usually head out on my days off to parks, festivals, etc. to find things to photograph. Since the weather has started to turn colder here, I was wondering where folks go to photograph when the weather is chilly.

Just looking for some new ideas on what kinds of things you do when the weather does not cooperate.

That's funny, when it gets colder I tend to go shoot in the park, too.
Otherwise I just come up with some topics that I can shoot at home.

I love cold weather. I tend to head out more often when it's cold. I'd rather shiver than sweat my ass off. You know those days when the heat from your face clogs up the viewfinder? Besides, a darkcloth helps keep your head warm :)

Is it okay to take your camera outside in really cold weather? I'd be afraid it would ruin something...

It saps the hell out of your batteries, but isn't going to hurt your camera unless it's really really cold.

Film can be affected by extreme cold, also. It can become brittle and lose it's flexibility and brake instead of bending. (Not sure how cold it has to be for that, though)

Unfortunately it does not get that cold here. LOL It just gets cold enough to make it annoying, but not enough for us to get snow.

Ok.... you're in Southern California. I will trade the snow storm that blasted through Central Ontario on Tuesday night for your "cold enough to make it annoying" any day! It is currently 33 degrees F outside (in your language - lol) and with the wind chill it actually feels like 24 F.

Maybe you're up for a house swap? You seem sad that you can't take pics of ice.... and snow..... ;)

Jason

P.S. Please excuse the rant..... I needed to give our lovely Canadian weather a good yelling at. It has begun to snow again while writing it.....
P.P.S. As to your original question, I will be using this winter to sort and process the large amount of pics I took while the weather was still reasonably tolerable. (I couldn't bring myself to sit in front of the computer while our OH so short summer passed me by). If I get bored of that, I may bundle myself up and venture out to take pics of the fluffy white crap.

He's in South Carolina. Not Southern California. Different sides of the country. Different climates.

Is it okay to take your camera outside in really cold weather? I'd be afraid it would ruin something...

As some one noted it just drains the batteries fast. Bring a couple spares and keep them close to your body. When the camera says your battery is low take it out, replace it with the spare, and put the "used" one next to your body. Repeat the process later with the original "used" battery and you'll find it is no longer "used."

I've never messed up my equipment in the snow. I did drop my Hoodman (LCD flippy cover thing) into snow once... that was annoying.

He's in South Carolina. Not Southern California. Different sides of the country. Different climates.

:cokespit::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Wow..... perhaps instead of learning photography skills..... I need to brush up on some basic reading skills.....

Wait.... I'm gonna blame it on the dirty glasses.... YEAH, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Jason

Most reactions

Back