What's new

Identify the bug. C&C welcome because I think I over exposed. Or maybe not.

LightSpeed

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
1,527
Reaction score
404
Location
Earth
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just playing around with the Macro lens. This little part fly, part bee critter has me stumped.
I would like the composition to have been better but they don't pose for you exactly where you want them to. Anyway, I've been having fun with this little flower. It's about a nickel in diameter, give or take and all types of tiny flying bugs are massively attracted to it. Must be some good sh___ but I haven't dried any out and tried to smoke it.
5261843657_44d5ce8206_z.jpg
 
Whatever it is, it has sweet markings. I wonder if it could be some kind of beetle even?
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #3
Thanks man. I thought the bug was unique looking. He's about a tenth the size of a honey bee. The shot is hand held. Under bright light, so I was able to f8 him with a fast shutter and get a decent depth of field. It's not a 1:1 shot.
 
Nice crisp image of the fly.

There was a couple guys on the now gone S5 users forum that could ID any flies. There was a lot of macro work on that forum.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #6
Thanks Ron. I've been searching the Internet for a terminator fly and came up with nothing.
 
No need to post it on bugguide...it's a pretty common fly. It is a Syrphid fly a.k.a. hoverfly...specifically a Toxomerus marginatus

Oh, and that's a very nice pic btw...doesn't look overexposed to me.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #9
Yep, Nate, you nailed it. Thank you for that and your kind words.
 
Must be some good sh___ but I haven't dried any out and tried to smoke it.
:pimp: My mama always told me to be kind to flowers..
 
I forgot to add " yet" to the end of the sentence.
 
Very good shot man! I think your exposure is dead on as well.

Thanks for sharing!
 
Thanks Chad, I appreciate your comments. I was a little undecided on the exposure. It was kind of hard to nail down because the flower is such a bright yellow.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom