If... I could... ungh... only... reeeeaaccchhh... the... keeeeyyyyyy (C&C)

Derrel I believe you give excellent advice, and infact I have some of your threads to me printed out and bookmarked, so I'm sorry if I seem unappreciative, but I think your advice comes a bit strong, almost arrogant, and I know this is online and it is hard to put feeling to the written word, but almost at the beginning of your advice you put people on the defensive. that is just your style, and I understand that.
So again, I'm sorry if it doesnt seem appreciative or like I'm throwing my hands up in defeat, I'm not.

Well, yeah. There is no "personal" touch on the web, and I'm not here to dole out atta' boys. It takes a thick skin to be on a public forum and to open one's self up to C&C and advice from all corners. I'm not one to accept excuses that "it could not be done" or "there is nothing that can be done" when there is, in fact a lot that can be done. Photography has NEVER been easier than it is today...I grew up with ISO 100 color film being "fast" color film for crying out loud...I remember when color print film hit ISO 400--it was awful. I remember a few years later, when "fast" color film meant Scotch 3-M ISO 640 slide film!!!! Fer crying out loud...cameras develop the photos inside them today,and show a full-color, 920,000-dot picture that is higher-rez than the TV set I grew up with...so, to me, a lot of the complaints I hear about the "difficulty" of photographing children ring very hollow: I GREW UP SHOOTING ISO 64 Kodachrome that took 10 days to return from the developing lab....so, when somebody today manages to get blurred images by shooting at ISO 100 at f/2.3 at 1/320 in open shade, their excuse rings absolutely hollow to me. I have zero sympathy for that. Man....the pictures are visible within 1 second of shooting them--there's no need to wait 10 days to see if you are screwing up...plus, the camera has a built-in 10x to 20x magnifier feature!!!

I am very point-blank. I cannot use enough words to make every single C&C or every on-line post delicate, and 100 percent geared to a certain face-to-face standard of genteel/polite society/charm school. I am who I am. I appreciate your comments, and I DO want to help you succeed ands improve in your photography. Try thinking of me as your drill sergeant, not your friend--maybe that will help. (Smile)

so, when somebody today manages to get blurred images by shooting at ISO 100 at f/2.3 at 1/320 in open shade, their excuse rings absolutely hollow to me.
You're so right! I can look at it and change the settings, but that particular picture was gone.

I don't look at you as my friend or my drill sergeant. I look at you as someone who's giving out advice. Appreciated advice. Just not something I can put into play at this point in my life. I don't mind your point-blank statements.

I do not post them and beg people to C&C them, because they are my own family snapshots.
I don't see anywhere where I begged... I guess the just for fun statement should have been replaced with "These are pictures of my child that I had a short opportunity to photograph. We were in a big hurry and no they're not $1000 professional photographer work, but C&C if it just tickles your fancy to give me some helpful advice" ?

Last edited:
What can't you put into play at this point in your life? And I'm not trying to be a prick. I think there were some good ideas up there about going for walks or going to a park. You can use the internet and pick different places to go to that are free in your area. It would get you and the kid away from the house.

I have gone to the park. I've stated previously that our park is the elementary school playground and can only be used from 4-10pm. I could go for a walk, but anywhere around my apartment complex is going to be the same background as my balcony except maybe more cars if I go downstairs. If I go further than that it's highway for about 2 miles in either direction, which I just won't do.... and he'd be in the stroller anyway. I don't think that'd really be all that appealing either. Not to mention that it extends the length of my smoke "break". I don't have time to get away from the house. I'm taking full time online courses and I'm studying for a CPhT exam on Friday.

These were taken at my mother house which is mostly busy backgrounds too.

That's the advice I can't put into play.

I think your little boy is adorable, and the expression in the first shot is great-especially with your caption. =)

Photographically, I think these pictures have been beaten to death but I wanted to add something if I could. Yes, your life is busy. Yes you have a son who takes up your time and energy, along with countless other things in life. But you decided to take an interest in photography for a reason. Clearly, you want more out of it than just to take snaps on the run without learning anything along the way.

The things that are important to us in life- we make time for. If photography is important to us, we can always find opportunities for it. The question is, how important is photography to you? Are you willing to take your camera and a good photography book here and there on all your outings? To classes, to work, around the house? Are you willing to *make* time to grow, or are you happy with where you are?

Sure, life is full of obligations and things that take up our time...but that is why it's all the more important to MAKE time for the things that we're passionate about. As a mom, I'm sure you don't hestitate to make extra time for your son because you love him very much. Well now, you have discovered an amazing opportunity to capture those memories that pass by in the busy-ness of daily life...in a way that is artful, meaningful, and FUN for you.

People like to toss around the term "MWAC" around here, but I think EVERY mom should be a "MWAC." Photography is such a great gift for families with children. Even if your best shots are of the simple parts of daily life with your little boy, those shots are WORTH making beautiful, and they are worth every minute of time you made to learn the craft.

*steps off soapbox*

I think your little boy is adorable, and the expression in the first shot is great-especially with your caption. =)

Photographically, I think these pictures have been beaten to death but I wanted to add something if I could. Yes, your life is busy. Yes you have a son who takes up your time and energy, along with countless other things in life. But you decided to take an interest in photography for a reason. Clearly, you want more out of it than just to take snaps on the run without learning anything along the way.

The things that are important to us in life- we make time for. If photography is important to us, we can always find opportunities for it. The question is, how important is photography to you? Are you willing to take your camera and a good photography book here and there on all your outings? To classes, to work, around the house? Are you willing to *make* time to grow, or are you happy with where you are?

Sure, life is full of obligations and things that take up our time...but that is why it's all the more important to MAKE time for the things that we're passionate about. As a mom, I'm sure you don't hestitate to make extra time for your son because you love him very much. Well now, you have discovered an amazing opportunity to capture those memories that pass by in the busy-ness of daily life...in a way that is artful, meaningful, and FUN for you.

People like to toss around the term "MWAC" around here, but I think EVERY mom should be a "MWAC." Photography is such a great gift for families with children. Even if your best shots are of the simple parts of daily life with your little boy, those shots are WORTH making beautiful, and they are worth every minute of time you made to learn the craft.

*steps off soapbox*

You're right! I do want more! That's why I'm trying to get helpful critique on how I can turn these into photographs and not snapshots. (Ha!) Unfortunately with what I have to work with there isn't much I can do about the backgrounds and that's a big issue. Focus is another one. I'm improving on that. (finally)

I do make time for the important stuff in life. I'd love to just make a few more hours into the day to add photography to my list of priorities! Unfortunately, there's things that -have- to come before it on my list right now and they take up all my "free" time. When I find a spare moment, I usually spend it taking pictures, even if it's just of my kids.

I do take my camera with me everywhere I go. Literally, -everywhere-. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot of going, nor are there a whole lot of horribly interesting things when I do go.

I actually have a bunch of pictures that I know what would be said before I ever post them so they don't even get posted. Actually one of the main reasons I posted these for C&C is that they didn't have the -same- background as the ones I take at my house.

As it is, my husband and kids don't get a lot of "mommy" time, cause mommy's time is often spent doing homework, studying, cleaning, cooking, bathing, driving (to my mom's), or otherwise. I actually try to find time to photograph and take the kids out, etc. I just don't have much time. That's why I post the pictures that I do have because if I can get critique on those that helps me I can try to use it the next time I have 5 min to photograph... anything.

Congrats on your 1,000th post! Unfortunately it was used making excuses instead of taking all of this wonderful knowledge and putting it to use. I hate when I post a photo and someone tells me how great it is and that I am the best photographer in the world! Okay... that's never been said, but what I do like is when my photo is picked apart... Even if it is an unfair or unliked comment... I use it! You took a couple of snapshot of your kid and want to know "how (you) can turn these into photographs and not snapshots". Well, you can't... They started off fundamentally wrong and no matter how much post you do, they will remain snapshots.

You may not like what Derrell, Aayria, and others have to say and it is up to you if you take the advice given, but after seeing your "photographs", I would take any advice I could get.

Take snaps of your kids... I do! What I don't do is post them and hope for an "attaboy"... I have two kids, working full time on my bachelors in business, keep a clean(ish) house, run a growing photography business, and try to give my wife the attention she deserves when she gets home from work... Trust me... I know it can be hard to find time for a hobby... But you either do it or don't... But don't ***** when people don't tell you the things you want to hear.

I hope to see more of your work and I hope to see you being more open to the ideas expressed to you in the forum.

Happy Shooting!

~Jason

No where did I ask what I could do in PP to change these family pictures into photographs. Why? Cause I -know- that can't be done.

I do like what Derrel and Aaryia said. I will put it to use as soon as I'm able.

No where here am I bitching or asking for an 'attaboy' or any other kind of "Yay you".

Sorry if you took it as bitching. Actually I'm not it's the internet and you're free to interpret things however you please.

Congrats on your growing photography business. Unless you were born a gifted photographer and had to learn nothing, I'm sure you know what it's like to want to learn. :)

This is why I said I'd stop posting pics of the kid. If I can't get helpful advice on the pics I take of my kids then I'll just have to wait til I have something more interesting for the general public. I'm okay with that.

On a side note ... your avatar is HOT!!!

Your Avatar > erose

:drool:

If I can't get helpful advice on the pics I take of my kids then I'll just have to wait til I have something more interesting for the general public. I'm okay with that.

I think the whole point of everyone posting is that you are and have received loads of 'helpful advice on the pics I take of my kids' but you are not applying it.

Derrell, I love reading your posts btw.

Maybe you're right but at least I can say I'm trying to apply it. Maybe ill "get it" one day. :)

Well there is sentimental value to these photos but they are good photos in general as well too. I do think may stopping down a bit would more for both..just my thought though. Maybe play with the colors a bit more? They just seem a bit drab to me as far as colors. Keep it up though!

After I posted I realized this thread is 3 pages deep. I'm sorry! I was a little late.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back