If I were to begin 35mm film...

Also, I own an SRT-201 (Minolta). Great camera. Still a lot of good lenses for it out there too, if you're an eBay hound. I recently got a Minolta-PF 135mm 1:2.8

Why would MF be "pricy". IMO I learn a lot shooting with MF. It forces you to be more specific on your composition and forces you to slow and think more about what you are about to shoot.

First off, kudos to you for choosing the film path!

Not knowing what you're shooting for a DSLR, I'd say an F100 would be a nice fit as it has a similar "feel".

If you want some different then I'd suggest/second the FE or FM models if you have the D lenses.

The question that begs to be asked and that no one has yet asked is: why?

Why do you want to shoot film?

Why is that a question begging to be asked?

Because I like the timeless feel of film, because I enjoy a new challenge, because I want to.

Timeless feel, new challenge, and just for the hell of it. It really sounds like you need to put a few rolls through the C3.

I have. The c3 has a bit of a light leak so if I don't take the roll up in one sitting then it will end up overexposing. And getting your focus with that thing is one hell of a problem. The pictures look cool, when they are in focus. But still fun none the less.

Why is that a question begging to be asked?

Because I like the timeless feel of film, because I enjoy a new challenge, because I want to.

Some people seem to think they are going to do something magical by using film, learn something totally different but they won't and film today doesn't make much sense except for personal work. Clients (mine anyway) don't want to deal with prints or transparencies.

I do love film but I don't see shooting any today if I didn't have a darkroom to do my own work in. To me, the darkroom is where the magic happens. The differences in the shooting of film vs digital are not enough to make the switch very interesting but if you're going to set up a darkroom, B&W of course as color is a bit harder with its tight temperature control, then, YES, go have a blast. And when you hold a beautiful fiber base print in your hands, you may never go back to digital except for paid jobs :lol:

And to get started, just pick-up any cheap Nikon body that fits your lenses.

Also, I own an SRT-201 (Minolta). Great camera. Still a lot of good lenses for it out there too, if you're an eBay hound. I recently got a Minolta-PF 135mm 1:2.8

I agree that the SRT-201 is a fantastic camera. I bought one from a flea market for $15 (with a 50mm f/1.7 lens!) and some photos I just got processed from it are sharper than anything I do digitally!

I second (third, or forth) the F100. It's an outstanding camera, built very well and works with all your Nikon lenses. Heck, the camera's manual mentions the SB-800, which isn't THAT old :) I just left my local camera shop and they had a near mint F100 on the shelf for $229! You might find one on Ebay for less, but there's nothing like holding one in your hands before you buy! As already mentioned, many believe the F100 is the second best film camera Nikon has made. A great value for the buck.

There are tones of choices.
I think that one of the best price for buck on the 35mm would be the Yashica electro 35
It is a rangefinder, light, fast quality lens, and it can be found for next to nothing if you are a little patient.

Most reactions

Back