If you could rent any lens as a guest...

Monica, I think that is cool that you even ask that question. I make my living shooting weddings, yet I've been run over and screwed up by more than one "guest" shooter. Normally, I'm pretty cool about things if they don't mess up what the bride and groom is paying me to do. But sometimes in their excitement, they forget that the bride and groom paid me a lot of money to get my vision, and not the guest's vision.
That being said, here is what I would suggest:

1. Don't jump into the aisle to get the "kiss shot" or anything else. You will be blocking the bride's shooters who by church rules CAN NOT MOVE.
2. Don't stand over our shoulder during the "formal" photos. We are having to work really fast during that time.
3. Do not post the wedding as your wedding own FB.
4. Do not tell the bride and groom to "look this way" during the formals.
5. Don't jump in front of us, or step on our feet, or knock us down to get your "moment" shot at the reception. (All have happened).

Basically, just remember the bride and groom came to the main shooter to capture their big day, and they most likely paid a lot of money to that pro that has a lot of state of the art equipment and software. While your shot is very nice, it's not quite the shot (yet) that people would pay a few thousand dollars for. Most pros don't mind guest shooters, as long as they respect the fact that the bride is waiting for the pros photos, and the pro is trying their level best to get those shots.

I hope that makes sense.

Yeah, it seems like those "rules" are just common courtesy, right?! At my little cousin's wedding, there were P&S using friends who were interrupting the pro shots. I stood towards the back and shot when the pros were rearranging, etc. Again, I am doing this primarily as a learning experience for myself.

I guess my only question of "the rules" would be why to not post the pictures I took on FB, etc? Perhaps the answer is obvious and glaring me in the face, but I've had a long, rough day and I'm a bit preoccupied.

Additionally, I think I should clarify (in case there's any confusion or question) that I'm not trying to shoot like a pro, nor offer photos as professional quality. TBH, any photos that come off of my camera generally live in iPhoto or go onto my digital frame...

Yeah, it seems like those "rules" are just common courtesy, right?!

I guess my only question of "the rules" would be why to not post the pictures I took on FB, etc?

You'd think it'd be common courtesy.. but you wouldn't believe how many times this has actually happened!
I wouldn't put the pictures on FB, mostly because the first shooter was the one posing them/setting the shots/lighting. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, it seems like those "rules" are just common courtesy, right?!

I guess my only question of "the rules" would be why to not post the pictures I took on FB, etc?

You'd think it'd be common courtesy.. but you wouldn't believe how many times this has actually happened!
I wouldn't put the pictures on FB, mostly because the first shooter was the one posing them/setting the shots/lighting. Just my thoughts.

And that is exactly the reason why. And on top of that, sometimes the "guest" posts the photos as "their wedding clients" which is definately not cool or respectful to the primary shooter. Reason being the other guests may have gotten a business card from the Pro, and then they see the Guest photos and if they aren't good, it reflects on the Pro, as if the guest was a shooter for the company.

So in a photo like I posted on page 1, when the first shooter wasn't around nor actively taking pictures, would that be wrong still to post?

My aunt also wanted all of the photos I took off of my memory card, which I uploaded to her computer the next day. Was that wrong? How is that any different than developing the film cameras left on the table? It's different perspective, but IMO it doesn't detract from the professional images...

So in a photo like I posted on page 1, when the first shooter wasn't around nor actively taking pictures, would that be wrong still to post?

My aunt also wanted all of the photos I took off of my memory card, which I uploaded to her computer the next day. Was that wrong? How is that any different than developing the film cameras left on the table? It's different perspective, but IMO it doesn't detract from the professional images...

I agree, just my opinion, but when asked to see photos of their wedding the bride and groom will show off the ones they paid for before the ones their friend or family took from the bar. Also they're your photos, do as you please.

At the same time I wouldn't even take pictures when the paid photographer is posing their clients. My comment above is strictly for reception candid fun, not posed, setup shots by the paid photog.

I don't think it would be wrong at all to post, if you don't act like it was your client. Does that make sense?

As for the other part of your question, some pros would have a problem with you sending your shots to relatives and that is why some pros ban all other cameras. I give the disc, so I really don't mind the family getting other takes, but there are still many that don't give out the disc and make a living by reprints. If you give the shots for free, even though they aren't nearly as well done as the pros shots, the bargain hunters won't pay for those reprints.

Hi Jake, I tried to give you a "like" but the button isn't showing up. :-(

I don't think it would be wrong at all to post, if you don't act like it was your client. Does that make sense?

As for the other part of your question, some pros would have a problem with you sending your shots to relatives and that is why some pros ban all other cameras. I give the disc, so I really don't mind the family getting other takes, but there are still many that don't give out the disc and make a living by reprints. If you give the shots for free, even though they aren't nearly as well done as the pros shots, the bargain hunters won't pay for those reprints.

I think there are a handful under my "random pics" album, and labeled them as "my little cousin's hitchin'". lol

I have never in my life been to a wedding where cameras were banned! I didn't know photographers did that even, but it makes sense. I suppose that is because I've mostly been to small, intimate, low-key ceremonies, but who knows. It does make sense, though, that a pro will lose money if other people are taking photos that they're giving away for free. I feel a touch guilty now. :badangel:

If you are posting them as random pics and your cousin's wedding, I don't see any problem at all. But just in case, post them low res, not high res for those pros making money off the back end and not the front end.

Oh yes, some people (including me) have contracts that say we can "walk" if there is a guest/vendor that impedes our work. Some even have contracts that say that if ANY camera is pulled out, they will walk.
The only time I ever said anything though was when a DJs assistant pulled out a 50 D and proceeded to copy every shot I took. Normally I don't say anything, but that was really over the line for me. When guests jump in front of me, I'll run in front of them, turn my flash around, and blast them with the light of a thousand suns to get their attention. :) It's a bit passive/agressive, but it works fine. And they are permanently blind. LOL, JK, but it works.

If you want to take pictures at the wedding and of a baby or baby shower, the 24-70 f/2.8 will be your best friend! A 70-200 will just draw a lot of attention to you, then people will ask you to take their pictures when they're standing too close.

If you want to take pictures at the wedding and of a baby or baby shower, the 24-70 f/2.8 will be your best friend! A 70-200 will just draw a lot of attention to you, then people will ask you to take their pictures when they're standing too close.
I thought the point of photography was to get the longest lens possible because then you look professional.

If I dont hit people in the face while turning then I need a bigger lens!

3. Do not post the wedding as your wedding own FB

I understand your point of view now. It would just be disrespectfull and rude to post as your wedding, when your just a bystander with a camera.

monica at my wedding my cousin just asked if I wanted him to take some shots of us getting ready before we went to the church, this was before the pro was even around. That's what I would do, and like those above said when the pro sets up a shot ignore it, there is no need for the same shot in 2 different camera's. There is probably 70% of the day that there is no photographer around, early in the day when the bride and groom are getting ready, there are always members of the weddding party standing around while the posed shots are being taken, and depending on how long thier photographer sticks around, there might be some really really great shots towards the end of the reception...because I'm sure everyone will still be sober!

If it were me I'd regret bring the 70-200 or 24-70 as a guest - too big and heavy.
I'd rent the 85mm f/1.4G and leave the flash at home.

Then you have something to lust after.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back