If you had to choose one lens?

Stephanie Stewart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My photography business has taken on a life it's own. I never expected to have 10 sessions booked the first week after becoming an LLC, opening a separate bank account, paperwork after more paperw
ork and I wasn't even sure it would be worth it! I'm not from the area so I have no friends or "built- in" clientele. So it's truly amazing to me that things are going well (so far - and still my expectations are low) my question is, If you had to have one lens what would it be? I have a telephoto 55-200 a 50mm and 35mm prime. I'm obviously missing (although I don't miss it) the kit lens that came with my old camera the 18-55mm. Any suggestions?

Tough question. I shoot FX Nikon, so for "me", the go-to lens for portraiture and outdoor stuff is a 70-200 or 80-200mm tele-zoom. The 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G that oldhippy mentioned is a very sharp lens, with a wide maximum aperture, and it's very good even at f/2.5, all across the frame; it is one of the very best-performing Nikon lenses in the under-$4,000 price range. Seriously--it is SUPER-crisp in its imaging. And it's smallish, and light in weight, and has a large, well-designed polycarbonate bayonet-on lens shade that shades and shields/protects the lens front from drops and bumps from obstacles and other cameras. The issue though is that on APS-C, it's...a medium telephoto that is too long (too narrow a picture angle) for many places you'll be taking photos.

I dunno...for a crop-sensor user, something like a 17-50mm f/2.8 third-party lens would be pretty useful for general event work and group portraiture; it gives you wide-angle, normal, and very short-tele looks in one, single lens. The 35mm and 50mm prime lenses are very handy,and it's great that you have those.

I do not think the 18-55mm f/3.5~5.6 is really that helpful, and that's why I am suggesting the 3rd party 17-50mm f/2.8 option: focal length flexibility, and NO lens changes for many events.

I just got me the 85mm 1.8g and I must say I've been using it a lot.
It's not as sharp as my 70-200 wide open but I've gotten feeble in my old age and i like a lighter lens.

for crop frame, grab a sigma 50-150 f/2.8, or a 17-50 f/2.8...
preferably both if your doing commissioned work.

thanks for tips...... i always wondered about this..

For portraits:
If cost is an issue - Nikon AF DC 105 mm f/2D or AF DC 135 mm f/2D
If cost is not an issue Nikon's AF-S 200 mm f/2G

Thank you all for giving me some great choices! I have the 85mm 1.8f on order and will go from there! I know it will be longer (127.5), but I take a lot of photos of kids running around and unless I want to chase them around with a 35mm this gives me a great alternative for now! Thank you all! I plan to add all of the others eventually too!

Lately it seems to be my 85 1.4G

Something interesting, sort of along the one lens idea....Last year, before he took down and thus eliminated thousands of older posts (and then re-started his blog) on The Visual Science Lab, Kirk Tuck had a blog article in which he very pointedly and specifically mentioned that one of the m4/3 fixed focal length lenses from Panasonic allowed him to shoot from kind of a moderate distance, and have the images look somewhat wide-angle....but then, if he moved a few steps closer, the pictures had more of a short telephoto effect to them. He had several samples of this as proof of concept, and I must say, what he said appeared to be the truth. The shots were done inside of a cafe/diner type restaurant. It was really interesting, how one prime lens could double as both a wide, and a short tele-type lens, just through camera position changes.

***Mmmmkay, I found a related link from that era; I believe the blog post on VSL is gone, but Kirk did this guest spot on The Online Photographer.
The Online Photographer Kirk s Take Leica 25mm Summilux Review

Last edited:
I've always loved my 55-110mm HC Hasselblad lens.. It's versatile enough for portraits, but you can also step back with it

My photography business has taken on a life it's own. I never expected to have 10 sessions booked the first week after becoming an LLC, opening a separate bank account, paperwork after more paperw
ork and I wasn't even sure it would be worth it! I'm not from the area so I have no friends or "built- in" clientele. So it's truly amazing to me that things are going well (so far - and still my expectations are low) my question is, If you had to have one lens what would it be? I have a telephoto 55-200 a 50mm and 35mm prime. I'm obviously missing (although I don't miss it) the kit lens that came with my old camera the 18-55mm. Any suggestions?
Are you shooting Fuji? Those focal lengths can all be associated to Fujinon lenses. If you are shooting Fuji and if you're shooting portraits, I strongly suggest either the Fujinon 56mm f/1.2 and/or the 50-140 f/2.8. The 56mm, (85mm in FF). is heralded as simply a killer lens. The 50-140 (75-210 in FF) is tack sharp at all focal lengths.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back