TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ISO:

Is it /eye-so/ or /I.S.O./?

This is not a poll, it's just that I've heard it both ways and am wondering if I'm pronouncing it wrong - I said I.S.O.

It is both. ISO is actually a "non word". Its like, have you ever burned a CD/DVD and seen an option where "Use ISO naming blah blah blah". ISO is just an agreed upon method of naming/organizing something that crosses national borders.

There are various ISO's. According to Wikipedia, film speed's (which is the proper term) ISO is 5800. The ISO Number for the above CD/DVD example is ISO 9000.

Through repetition of use, ISO 5800 (film speed designation) has simply become "ISO speed", especially now since it would be silly to refer to "film" speed on a digital camera.

Okay... so, pronunciation of this non-word?

Yes. Thank you.

Anyone on the pronunciation of it?

Okay... so, pronunciation of this non-word?

I thought you were asking if you pronounce it "eye-so" or if it actually stood for something. "Eye-so" would be apt as I.S.O. actually stands for "International Organization for Standardization", which of course has nothing to do with film speed.

That's why I said "ISO" is a "non-word", because its name doesn't actually describe what it refers to. If you wanted to get really technicall you would refer to a cameras film speed as "I.S.O #5800."

So, in summation: ISO is pronounced "Eye-so" which is simply "Film speed".

gsgary has JUST gone on my ignore list. That's a relief :lol:.

Hmmm. Okay... I can't say that I'm seeing your logic here, ANDS!.

gsgary has JUST gone on my ignore list. That's a relief :lol:.

Hmmm. That's what I thought, but I have a few filipino friends who said /eye-so/... then again, they pronounce lots of their words different. :D

Your filipino friends are correct. I don't know anyone (not saying they don't exist) who would pronounce it I - S - O, because - again - you're not actually saying anything.

Hmmm. Okay - well, obviously Kegger is one of the few :).

So according to that logic, ASA is actually /ay-sa/?

So according to that logic, ASA is actually /ay-sa/?

If the use of ASA (like ISO) to refer to various standards was widespread enough, I imagine it would be referred to as such. However ASA has been replaced by ANSI and it seems some people do use ANSI (an-see) the same as folks use ISO (eye-so).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back