I'm confident that none of these pictures are any good.

KevinPutman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But C&C would be appreciated ^-^

Help me get better!
Shot with Canon Powershot S5 IS

(Sorry so many, but I took about 40 and these are the only ones that came out nice)

Edit: Added a post-processed version of number 2..looks a lot better right?
Should I post process more of my pictures, or leave them as I take them.? What are some opinions on that?

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

3.jpg

4 (I know the fence is probably a no-no, but I wanted it to be a bit more than your plain day sunset picture)
IMG_1768.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
just do a few google searches about photo compositions and try to implement what you learn.

just do a few google searches about photo compositions and try to implement what you learn.

I did, and have been =/
haha fail.
Although pointing out where I go wrong with that helps, so I don't do it again. (Hopefully)

Look for crooked horizons, and fix them.

Mundane content is the biggest culprit whether you follow and apply elements of composition or not.

photography takes a lot of time to learn. the problem with these is they don't really have much of a subject. they are just snap shots. get creative, get low, try different angles. these all look like you were just standing in front of something and shooting. #3 is the best one. i like it, maybe edit the colors a bit to make them pop more. heres an example of what i mean by getting low and trying different angles...

5621126910_484c169fe9_z.jpg
[/url]
grass2crop by Dr.Mantis Toboggan, on Flickr[/IMG]

I think you just need to focus on finding a more interesting subject.
#1- not too sure what that is.. maybe a fishing lure? looks oof, and probably would require a much tighter crop.
#2- underexposed
#3- got the exposure alot closer on this one! Not to bad but i think you need to increase the depth of field and get the whole picture in focus
#4- some sort of subject in the field as a silhouette would have helped this picture out
The rest are just lacking interesting subjects IMO.

Sad, I walked around for a good half-hour (before it got too dark), and the most interesting things I could find to shoot was a trash can, and chewed up tree..
As for the crooked horizon, I edited this one a bit, played with the colors, attempted to straighten it, any better?

Also, since I'm not quite using a dSLR, how exactly do I better my dept of field using the camera I have? It has a manual focus options, but I didn't think to use it this time around,
I know aperture size can determine DOP, but I'm not certain on what does what. Does a larger aperture widen the dop, or the opposite? Sorry I'm a noob =p

1zbx940.jpg

the chain link and the tall grass bother me and theres no subject on the horizon line, just the colors of the sun that already set. if the sun was still visible it might be a bit more interesting.

If you use a smaller F# eg f1.8, you will have less depth of field, therefor less in focus. A Higher F # will you give a larger depth of field and therefor make more of the image in focus

Or perhaps it makes more sense if stated - shallower DOF and deeper DOF.

Lens aperture is just one of 4 factors that control DOF.

Looking through magazines that feature a lot of scenic shots, I notice that 95% of the photos have very deep DOF, and virtually everything in the photos are sharply in focus.

So in landscape shots, what's more appealing? The deeper dof? Or a shallow, more what's up close is more in focus?

I'm guessing the deeper DOF, just looking for clarification.

I like the 3rd and the 7th picture but the rest are kinda "meh" for me. I think you just tweaked the saturation in the 2nd picture and produced the 3rd picture.

Your compositions aren't all that bad. You obviously know about the rule-of-thirds.

But, your subject matter is very weak. :er: A trash can? And you didn't even police up the trash around it.

You don't need to study composition you need to study 'eye' and what makes for interesting content.

Your compositions aren't all that bad. You obviously know about the rule-of-thirds.

But, your subject matter is very weak. :er: A trash can? And you didn't even police up the trash around it.

You don't need to study composition you need to study 'eye' and what makes for interesting content.

I was actually leaving the trash there for the irony =p
the whole "keep omaha beautiful" but there's trash laying infront of it,

guess I failed though! lol

Also,
I see what you did to the picture, but what exactly would you call that?
I can see there's obvious lighting adjustments, as well as brightness, etc.
But overall what changes did you make as far as the quality of the image? (Not like, quality as in posting quality, but quality as in just the picture overall?)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back