What's new

I'm going to Budapest and I really want the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8...

arbate

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to update my gear before I go to Budapest this summer. I'll be doing some photojournalism/social documentary work and also some architecture shots, I'm sure. I currently use the Canon 7D and I'm looking to get a good walk-around lens. I use a Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 for my wide-angle work, and it's decent but not great. I also have a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 for my macro work.

I'd like to get a decent range with a nice and large aperture. I'm looking at the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and maybe replacing my w.a. Tamron with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. But... I've been researching the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and I think I'm in love. That aperture for star photography has me drooling. The only reason I'm not buying that lens right now is that the team I'm traveling with to Budapest is trying to stay inconspicuous and not bring too "flashy" of camera gear. Not that the Sigma is flashy, but it's a nicer lens and, at almost 5 inches, I'm concerned it might not be the right fit for the trip. I'm simply concerned that the range of the 1.8 Sigma is going to be too limited and not wide enough for my crop-sensor body to capture the architecture. But... I just can't resist the delicious DOF that 1.8 offers and the possibilities for astrophotography in the future...

I'm conflicted because the Sigma falls right between a nice wide angle for landscape/architecture and a good focal length for a walk-around lens. I need some outside advice on what I should get. I'd like to stay under $900, but I usually buy used anyway.

Thanks!
Lindy Martin
 
Welcome to the forum.

That sigma is on a lot of peoples wishlist. All I can say is that its not very wide, and it doesn't go long. I think for my style of shooting that it would be a great additional lens to carry, but not take over my main lenses. I think if you add the 17-50 to your 10-24 that you will have much more good photo opportunities
 
Have you considered a tilt shift? 24mm (mark 1 not the newer mark 2) Canon TSE f/2.8 is reasonably fast aperture, costs $1000 used (but you could probably find a $900 if you hunted a bit), is wide angle, and has landscape and architecture features that none of the above can offer, in addition to being a fantastic quality straight forward normal 24mm.

--Adjust perspective of building exteriors and interiors in-camera to not lose resolution or part of your frame by adjusting in post. Architecture is one of the main intended purposes of the lens, and that's exactly what you say your main focus is.
--Tilt the focal plane parallel to the ground to get an entire landscape in focus at much wider apertures than you normally could with any other lens
--Perfectly stitched panoramas without worrying about nodal points or swinging the whole lens around or anything. Also, by shifting side to side and up/down, you effectively end up with something more like a 14mm lens than a 24mm, if you can pull it off (without, for example, clouds not matching up)
--Not actually all that huge of bulky or showy (black finish L lens still)
--Great for astrophotography too in un-tilted position
--Depending on the scene, you can often tilt perpendicular to things in the frame instead of parallel to also simulate something that looks like a brighter aperture than you have (which again is already quite bright at 2.8, but sometimes you could make it look more like a 2 or a 1.4, even, if things are in the right places to not give away the illusion)
 
The Sigma represents a NEW FRONTIER in zoom lenses for APS-C d-slr cameras. It is the ***only*** zoom that offers that focal length range, with that kind of aperture speed. Thom Hogan specifically mentioned that Sigma as a lens that advanced the capabilities available to photographers who shoot with the APS-C format in the year 2013. That's a pretty big achievement, and one of very few real technological advances made in the last year...so...

The 18-35mm f/1.8 zoom lens project was a statement on Sigma's part. It closed the gap between DX and FX in selective focus type shots. It brought NEW capabilities to APS-C photography. If 18-35mm is good for you on APS-C, then maybe the Sigma deserves a good long look.
 
Have you considered a tilt shift? 24mm (mark 1 not the newer mark 2) Canon TSE f/2.8 is reasonably fast aperture, costs $1000 used (but you could probably find a $900 if you hunted a bit), is wide angle, and has landscape and architecture features that none of the above can offer, in addition to being a fantastic quality straight forward normal 24mm.

--Adjust perspective of building exteriors and interiors in-camera to not lose resolution or part of your frame by adjusting in post. Architecture is one of the main intended purposes of the lens, and that's exactly what you say your main focus is.
--Tilt the focal plane parallel to the ground to get an entire landscape in focus at much wider apertures than you normally could with any other lens
--Perfectly stitched panoramas without worrying about nodal points or swinging the whole lens around or anything. Also, by shifting side to side and up/down, you effectively end up with something more like a 14mm lens than a 24mm, if you can pull it off (without, for example, clouds not matching up)
--Not actually all that huge of bulky or showy (black finish L lens still)
--Great for astrophotography too in un-tilted position
--Depending on the scene, you can often tilt perpendicular to things in the frame instead of parallel to also simulate something that looks like a brighter aperture than you have (which again is already quite bright at 2.8, but sometimes you could make it look more like a 2 or a 1.4, even, if things are in the right places to not give away the illusion)

I've never looked into a tilt shift lens before. I just did a bit of research and it definitely looks like a lens I'd love to get. However- that said, if I were to only get one lens right now for this trip, I think I'd stay closer to a standard range walk around lens for the photojournalism part of the trip. But I'd love to add a tilt shift to my arsenal one day- especially for the architecture aspect. Thanks for the advice!
 
You are probably going to be very Hungry in Budapest.


Sorry I couldn't help it :)
 
Well I think I decided to go with the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 for the trip and then upgrade my Tamron w.a. to the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 for Budapest. I still really want the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, but I'm willing to wait and save up for that over the summer. I definitely want it when I do some astrophotography in a few months in the mountains. But I suppose it'll have to wait... Any more suggestions?
 
Welcome to the forum.

That sigma is on a lot of peoples wishlist. All I can say is that its not very wide, and it doesn't go long. I think for my style of shooting that it would be a great additional lens to carry, but not take over my main lenses. I think if you add the 17-50 to your 10-24 that you will have much more good photo opportunities

I agree. While I really want the capabilities of 1.8 for Milky Way shots, I think the lens is not as good for regular landscape photography and I would miss the range of the 17-50. I'd love to get it eventually for star photography and more artistic fun shots, but for the trip, I think the sheer size and lack of range makes it a no go right now...
 
You'll love the Tokina. I've been praising it and shamelessly plugging for Tokina ever since I got it.

Also, I love my Sigma 17-50 2.8OS. A solid walk-around lens, IMO.

Jake
 
You'll love the Tokina. I've been praising it and shamelessly plugging for Tokina ever since I got it.

Also, I love my Sigma 17-50 2.8OS. A solid walk-around lens, IMO.

Jake


I'm glad you think so. I'm a bit mad at myself for not doing more research on my Tamron 10-24. It does the job, but I feel that it's a bit soft, and I wish I would have shelled out the extra hundred or so for the Tokina. I'm just glad I bought it used!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom