I'm going to enter a photo contest... which should I use?

First Choice is 4. It's an event, and one that conveys emotion and feeling. That would be my choice.

The "jellyfish" or what ever is just plain cool. Wondering how you got that one?

J.

thanks! I do like #4 also, and given the theme it might have worked well!

I took the jellyfish one at the boston aquarium. it was a dark tank with lights that made the jellies really show up nicely. I put the camera on ISO1600 and went for it. a little black point and white point adjustments in PP and blamo, a winner :)

Actually I'm going for the same one myself!
good luck man! (I hope you come in a close second to my picture!)

so here is a question, with the entry your photo becomes property of Costco, are you then not allowed to enter the picture into other contests?

your print is the property of Costco. not the photo itself. They're just saying that they won't send your print back to you. It's not like the photo itself doesn't belong to you anymore.

Photo #6 is probably the most interesting,novel,and technically proficient shot,with the fewest flaws or nits to pick, but if it is a Costco photo contest and judged locally, something much more kitschy is likely to win--something
"cutesy", like #4, of the two big cats at play, is far more likely to be called a winner if the photos are judged by everyday folks.

Photo #6 is probably the most interesting,novel,and technically proficient shot,with the fewest flaws or nits to pick, but if it is a Costco photo contest and judged locally, something much more kitschy is likely to win--something
"cutesy", like #4, of the two big cats at play, is far more likely to be called a winner if the photos are judged by everyday folks.

lol it's an international photo contest that gets over 30,000 entries every year.

I properly need to get my eyes calibrated but I absolutely love #2 except for that white thingy at the background.

4 would be my first choice, as someone already stated, it does convey some emotion. 5 is awsome also, if you don't go with 4, this leaves the feeling of astonishment (as in, wow he risked getting stung for that photo).

I wouldn't have entered #5. The composition isn't very strong, and you cut off the top jelly fish, and they are soooo close to the edge, then there is the black empty space on the left. Consider this matted, and you are losing 1/8th to 1/4 inch more of the top jellies.

But good luck!

Most reactions

Back