I'm Going to Hawaii! What should I buy??

bbaker35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For my college graduation I'm going with a few friends to Hawaii! I know the oportunity for photos is going to be unbelievable! I think for this special occasion I should buy something to take with me under about $150.

This is what I have:
Canon 350D
Speedlight 420EX
Cannon 50mm 1.8
Cannon crap kit lens
Cannon 75-300 4-5.6 (I think)
Plenty of Memory

I was thinking about a wide angle lens? Or Maybe a flash diffuser? Filters?

I'm completley open to suggestions...

It can be 1 or 2 items...

Thanks
B

Sounds like a fun trip. I went with a bunch of buddies for the 99/00 new year's party.

Yes, a Polarizer. It's the only filter you really need with digital.

A good bag, if you don't already have one.

A wide angle would be good but you are not going to get anything wider or better than your kit lens, for less than $500.

When I was in Hawaii, I got some great shots with a few water-proof disposables. They are great for when you are swimming/diving, splashing around or just messing around on the beach. Or any other place you wouldn't take your 350D.

Another zoom to cover the lower end from your 75mm down. Makes group and close wide angle easier.

I'll take a t-shirt and one of those ukuleles I keep seeing on TV....erm... OooOooh... You wanted to know what you should get for you. :oops:

A polarizing filter like the others have already mentioned as well as maybe an ND filter too would be the ones I'd get.

Make sure you have an adequate case for carrying it in. Oh, check the weight restrictions too. You might end up just bringing your camera gear and a bathing suit if I don't watch too closely ;)

Thanks everyone. I figured a polarizer would be a good choice. One question, when do you use one? (Yeah Yeah I'm new) Also I don't think that I'm gonna take a tripod. I'm not really good enough to need one yet. I will go handheld for most shots. Plus I really don't want to drag it all the way from the east coast.

Oh yeah, someone suggested that I get a lower end zoom range lens. Would someone offer an idea as to what range would be good? Probably one about the same as the kit lens?

Thanks Yall

B

BTW DigitalMatt-

I haven't been on TPF very long, but I will have to say that IMO your work is by far the best I've seen here. I don't know if you are amazing at photog or photoshop or a little of both, but I would love to turn out shots that are half as nice as your regular stuff.

Just Amazing.

B

A polarizer and maybe a red filter for really cool end of the world landscape shots :thumbup:

Congratulations on your graduation, have a good time :thumbup:

Too bad I'm super Super dark! In fact I'm probably one of the most tan white people I know. (No Tanning Bed!) Seriously I do not burn. I will wear sunblock but not much. So I guess I will focus more on the camera gear rather on sunblock!

You would use a polarizer just about any time you are shooting outdoors during the day. They are great for landscape/scenery because they can make the sky look more blue and foliage more green. It can filter out reflections that come off of glass or water...so it can really change the way water will look.

Get a circular polarizer, you can rotate the front of it to vary the effect. Keep in mind that the polarizer will be at it's strongest effect when shooting at 90 degrees to the sun.

A tripod would be a nice thing to have,
not really good enough to need one
That's probably the best reason to get one. ;)
But I agree that toting it around on vacation would be a pain. I usually have a small "table top" tripod in my bag just in case. Maybe just a bean bag would be enough...just something to prop the camera up on. It will be worth it just so that you get into some of the photos. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of photos of your friends in Hawaii....and very few you you (& the whole group).

Again, a good bag will be a big help on a trip like this. A backpack style bag with extra room for personal stuff would be a good idea IMO...the only bad thing is that it's not very quick to get the camera in/out of a backpack style bag.

I shall go with the flow.You can't get it wrong with a polarizer, especially for shots of the sea or that deep blue sky.Sometimes a warm up filter goe well too.

Have a nice time and take great pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back