I'm Going to Hawaii! What should I buy??

Question:

What is the difference between a circular polarizer and a linear polarizer??

Thanks.
B

A circular polariser is a linear polariser with an extra layer on the back. The extra layer de-polarizes the light again. This extra step is necessary with many modern in camera meters and autofocus systems, which can be confused by very polarised light.

The effect is the same with either type as the undesirable polarisation of light is removed by the first layer of the filter.

I would also recommend a circ-polariser and a solid table top tripod if you can find one.

I hope this helps,
Kevin

bbaker35 said:
Too bad I'm super Super dark! In fact I'm probably one of the most tan white people I know. (No Tanning Bed!) Seriously I do not burn. I will wear sunblock but not much. So I guess I will focus more on the camera gear rather on sunblock!

Don't confuse the Hawaii sun with the same one in West Virginia :) I have been working outside for a long time and consider myself dark. However after driving around Kauai for about 4 hours in an open Jeep I realized I hadn't put sunblock on the inside of my thigh. I got a burn there that hurt for a couple of months. It was serious. With the tradewinds it always feels a lot cooler than it is. A combination of sun and wind burn is painful. If you go up in the mountains the sun's effect is magnified. There are many micro-climates and some are brutal. You'll probably be fine but don't under estimate the weather out there.

I think you will find an amazing amount of photo ops. I would recommend a polarizer because the sky is usually interesting. Be sure to post some pictures when you get back.

Edited to add:
What island are you going to?

Dig Flowers-

Thanks for the advice, but I really might be confused for a hawaiian when we get there. lol.

Anyways...honestly I don't know what island we're going to yet. My friend has family that lives there so we are staying with them. I will be sure to let you know soon.

I would also recommend a circ-polariser and a solid table top tripod if you can find one.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Kevin

What is the difference between a circ-polarizer and a circular polarizer? Or is it the same thing?

B

Well I won't be surfing then b/c I'm not leaving until May. I'm just super excited about the trip and wanted some opinions for a purchase,

One more quick question. Which lens should I buy the polarizer for? I have the large zoom 73-300 thats 58mm ring, the kit lens 18-55 thats a 58mm ring, and also a 50mm 1.8, that has a 52mm ring. Should I buy an adapter for my 50mm and get one 58mm ring polarizer??

Thanks,
Ben

bbaker35 said:
One more quick question. Which lens should I buy the polarizer for? I have the large zoom 73-300 thats 58mm ring, the kit lens 18-55 thats a 58mm ring, and also a 50mm 1.8, that has a 52mm ring. Should I buy an adapter for my 50mm and get one 58mm ring polarizer??

Thanks,
Ben

Buy a 58mm filter and a 52 to 58 'Step up Ring'. They are pretty cheap so no worries. You may even want to buy another 58mm lens cap, that way you can leave the step up ring on the 50mm all the time...and the filter and all caps will be interchangeable.

Another thing you might consider is a lens hood. They do make hoods to suit specific lenses but you call also get inexpensive collapsible rubber hoods.

Thanks for the tip Mike-

I do have a lens hood for my 75-300 but it seems to be a little large for my kit lens. I used it one night on the kit lens and when I looked at my shots I had a vignette already. It was kind of cool, but I certainly don't want them on every shot.

Do you really need a lens hood for a 50mm lens? I have no Idea I was just wondering.

Thanks,
B

Oh yeah, anyone have any suggestions as to which polarizer to buy? Post a link from B and H for a 58 mm ring. Thanks

bbaker35 said:
Kevin

What is the difference between a circ-polarizer and a circular polarizer? Or is it the same thing?

B

Its the same thing, just an abreviation.

Kevin

First off, you are too kind. Thank you :)

bbaker35 said:
Also I don't think that I'm gonna take a tripod. I'm not really good enough to need one yet.

BigMike already said it, but I'll say it again. This is the main reason to get one. The more experienced you get, the better you can do without one. How are you going to get amazing sunset photos with no tripod? I stay out long after sunset, and I find that you get some of the most amazing pictures after the sun has gone down, but not without a tripod. Maybe you can look into renting one once you are there. I'd buy a good polarizer and a remote switch myself, if I didn't already have them.

Also, my wife, a former long time resident of Hawaii says that it's very humid, and rains often, so an umbrella is not a bad idea, and/or something to protect the camera from rain.

She also says that the sun is different, as digflowerpics said. Native Hawaiians get sunburned too :p It's not about how dark you are. It's how you protect yourself, so make sure to bring a big floppy hat and drink lots of water when you head out. Invest in rubber slippers. You can buy them there. You will find burning hot sand everywhere.

And now some advice on where to shoot (from Marge): Check out Tantalus, and the North Shore. Hike up Diamondhead. Catch the sights in Chinatown in Honolulu and Honolulu Harbour. If you're heading out to the outer islands, you can't miss out on sunrises on Haleakala (Maui). Mt. Kilauea (big Island), and he water falls in Kauai. Most surfers come out early in the morning, so if you wanna do some surf shots, head out very early to Waimea. Don't forget that there is a palace in downtown Honolulu near Beretenia. It's called Iolani Palace. It's quite cute.

That's all, enjoy. Bring back some Mochi lots of Kona coffee :)

Matt-

Thanks for all the advice. How in the world did you get hooked up with a woman from Hawaii. I think I remember seeing some pics you took of her not long ago.

Remember I am a newbie before I ask this, and I may be way way out of line. I will blame it on inexperience. I was just wondering how in the world you create the effect you do in two of your pictures. I think that they are under the nature. They are the shots that make the whole forrest look purple or have a purple tint. Is there one feature or tool you use in Photoshop to do this?

Or do you just know where the purple forrest is? lol :lol:

If you can't answer I fully understand.

Thanks
B

Yes, a tripod is key, worse come to worse take a monopod not as steady as a Tripod by a long way (great for sport though :D) But you can get great portable ones and cheap too which will do the job just incase you need to steady your camera.

Most reactions

Back