I'm in the market for a Doubler Lense! What the heck is,,,,,

Texaseyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
,,,,,,,,,,,,the big differences in the prices of these lenses.

70_3.JPG

viv-2xmac-canb.jpg

93-3645a.jpg

Some say they are Macro, etc. They talk about f-stop differences and that some can focus your telephoto/zoom up to 3 inches to the subject.
I understand if this is too boring and redone that you don't want to spend time explaining elementary questions.
If you could just supply a link that can educate me, that would be great.
I just see a wide variance in price of these lenses and want to get one that will help me with my macro focus and the long range on my zoom lense which is a Vivitar 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.3 on my Canon AE1.
Thanks.

well im not sure if this helps, but with macro lenses, prices vary greatly when you talk about true 1:1 magnification. the closer to 1:1? the more expensive.

md

The first (expensive) one will double the focal length of your lens (e.g.- 50mm to 100mm). It will also act as a extension tube by twisting the collar. This will turn your 50mm lens into a 100mm 1:1 macro lens. Using the macro function allows the lens to focus much closer to the subject than normal, but you lose infinity focus.

The second one will only double the focal length of your lens. It will not affect the close or distance focusing of the lens at all.

I have one of the Macro units (well 2 actually) and it works quite well for what it is. You can sometimes catch a used one on ebay for a decent price. I got my first one from Henry's & the second one for a third the price. The first was new in box, the second one used. They both work fine.

I know these come branded Soligor and Vivitar, though who actually made them I can't say.

I've got the nikon version of that 2x macro converter you posted pics of. It works great even though it does double the minimun aperture of the lense if you use it with a 50mm which is fairy inexpensive you can get the same results as if you used an actual 50mm macro which is about 3x's the price of a standard 50mm.

The value of a used vivatar macro converter is about $40 or so. so if you pick one up don't get ripped off

another cool thing about the vivatar macro converter is the ratio setting you can go 1:4-1:1 that helps when you are focusing at a close distance you can use that to assist with focusing which i find makes it easier because half an inch off and your subject is out of focus at those distances.

AND more thing to think about. another way of getting macro if not Micro focusing is if you can find them is reversing rings which allows you to mount your lens backwards on the camera. Its VERY limited but if you do this you will be able to focus practically like a low power microscope. If you aren't familar with this the wider the angle of view on the lense the closer you can get to your subject and focus. Like I said though it is very limited your focusing ring will not be affective you will just have to move in and out until you are focused. But they actually make reversing rings that allow you to do this.

You can test the techique by just holding the lens backwards in on your camera and moving in on a subject. Adjust the focusing ring to the point where you can move in and get the subject in focus. Needless to say your fstops will be useless also. Most lenses stop down to their min fstop when its not on the camera so thats what you will be shooting with.

I must apologize for the quality of the first two pictures but I didn't take them. I got them from the person with them for sale.
My question: Is this top lense, two views, the same lense as the third one.
View one:
201020-big.JPG

View two:
201015.JPG

As compared to this one.
201026-big.jpg

I can get this lense, the first one, for a really decent price and have made sure it fits the Canon AE1. I just need to know if it is the same lense as the second one which is the lense I want.
I just need an opinion for you "Lense Gurus"
Thanks, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back