I'm just curious...

I tend not to give C&C often due to my having only 9 mos experience with an SLR, but I try to post when I feel I have something constructive to contribute. When I post my own work, I generally post things I think came out well and am looking for a "reality check".

I would not ever post photos I thought were bad because if I don't like it, it's getting deleted. I don't care who else might thinks it's great - I do this to please myself, not anyone else. That being said, I get a lot out of someone pointing out problems in a photo I happen like.

I try not to post too much for C&C because I don't want to be someone who always asks, but never gives back.

If I actually feel I have something to offer that might help then I'll comment. Ditto if I just really like that photo for some reason and think it's fine. But I'm pretty cautious about really criticizing other people's work. One person's idea of "good" can really vary from another's.

Just because something bores me doesn't mean it's not something others might like and that doesn't make it a bad photo just because I don't particularly like it. Honestly I see a lot of photos here that are done near perfectly technically-speaking that I don't particularly relate to at all. Others that are clearly imperfect often do speak to me on some level.

Perfect composition isn't neatly as important to me sometimes overall as the emotional connection a photo can make. I rather like simple things when it comes to everyday photography and sometimes it's the simple things that can really blow me away, technical skill, or lack thereof, notwithstanding.

So many different reasons i'll comment or choose not to comment. It may be my mood. It may be whether a picture totally grabs my attention. Sometimes I'll point out obvious stuff to consider or correct. But I think most of my C & C is valuable because i'm taking the time to look at someone else's work and provide feedback. At first I was hesitant on providing feedback to someone's work that I may consider wayy past my level, but i've come to realize it's silly. What am I gonna do? Sit back, shut my mouth and let the big boys talk? You only get better and create a more discriminating eye by interacting, tossing ideas, critiques back and forth.

That's what all this is for.

I won't post if:

- I see "My Photos Are NOT OK to Edit"

- There's more than 5 pictures posted. Unless it's their first post, then I try to critique all of them while explaining why no one else has posted comments.

- I don't see anything wrong with the picture and several other people have posted "That's amazing!".

I'm likely to post if:

- The OP is new and sounds genuinely interested in improving.
- Someone responds to the post saying "the only way to improve this image is to delete it". I HATE that response. It's never been true on any post I've seen it.

I won't post if:

Could you explain your perspective on this a bit more?

It's probably just me, but if I see a way to crop it better, the white balance is off, or there's something that should be cloned out, I'd like to be able to show them how it could be better. It's incredibly difficult to explain where you should crop something, or why you should clone something out.

I really shouldn't say that I won't post, but rather, that I'm less likely to post. Especially if it's something that could be changed in PP.

I won't post if:

It's probably just me, but if I see a way to crop it better, the white balance is off, or there's something that should be cloned out, I'd like to be able to show them how it could be better. It's incredibly difficult to explain where you should crop something, or why you should clone something out.

I really shouldn't say that I won't post, but rather, that I'm less likely to post. Especially if it's something that could be changed in PP.
I can't speak for all of the other 'Not-OK to edit' people, but if I ever posted something and someone had an idea that might improve it, I probably wouldn't mind - assuming that they ask first.

The problem I have (and the reason I have NOT-OK to edit) is that a lot of people will just go ahead and post a crappy edit of your picture, without anyone asking for other ideas. Some people see that 'OK to edit', and assume it means 'Editing required on this picture - please post your version'.

That's what I don't like.

If I ever post a picture that you have an idea for an alternative crop or edit on, just ask me and 9 times out of 10 I'll be fine with it.

I won't post if:

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. My reason for asking was only to determine if I might be putting off people who might otherwise be willing to offer insight.

Thanks Bitter. I'll spare the crew a rehash and keep my opinion to myself. I'm sure it's hardly unique anyway.

;)

I just read your opening post on that thread ( not gonna read 5 pages ) but the flip side to what you said is, it can also be good to learn by doing trial and error. Gives you more practice. I don't like my photos edited for several reasons.

#1) It pisses me off when someone is giving C+C that really isn't qualified, and butchers my pics. ( case in point er111a ).

#2) If I post a pic, I am looking for simple little advice or even just if it invokes any sort of emotional response from people. If the general concensus say "needs more contrast" for instance, I am capable of taking that advice and making changes. I don't need an example, because I know what that entails.

#3) I am territorial and don't like people messing with my sh*t. Its like if a painter asked you "hey what do you think of this," you wouldn't grab the brush and start slapping on some paint, you would simply give your advice and let them choose to take it or not. Now if they specifically asked you to paint it for them, that would be different. ( that is how I look at the people with "photos OK to edit" in their profile. They are typically asking for physical example if possible.

Also, I would add, there are several people on here that I would probably have no problem doing a physical example because I guess I just am more familiar with their work and know it won't be an embarrassment. So in that case if they requested, I would most likely oblige.

Just wanted to add...

If all you want to do is show me a different crop, I don't really consider that 'editing' - and I wouldn't really mind if you did it without asking first.

Anything else - just consider "NOT OK to edit" to mean "Ask me".

Just wanted to add...

If all you want to do is show me a different crop, I don't really consider that 'editing' - and I wouldn't really mind if you did it without asking first.

Anything else - just consider "NOT OK to edit" to mean "Ask me".

:thumbup: Couldn't agree more.

Well, after reading the other thread, I think I do have a somewhat unique reason for saying no.

First off, I'm not anal retentive about my photos. All things being equal, I could care less what people did. But all things are not equal. I use Linux and open-source solutions for my PP (what there is of it) and if someone were to do an awesome edit in CS#, they would still need to translate that into GIMP/Digikam/UFRaw which pretty much negates any benefit to editing my stuff in the first place.

Someday I may buy CS5, but for now if I have the cash I'm buying glass first.

:D

I bought CS4 first before any higher end lenses, and I am glad, because it helped me NOT hate my cheap glass quite as much. HAHA. Even with the "L" glass, I still post process, so its not like if I started out by buying high end glass, I would not have needed photoshop. If anything I may have expected the expensive glass to do too much and not have a firm understanding of editing RAW files. But thats just my experience.

Sometimes I get in the mood to offer c&c, but usually not. When I am I generally only comment on pics that I can see a way of improving. I generally only critique composition, sometimes I recommend a different crop. Other times I wish you had taken the shot from somewhere else.

I may not say anything if someone else has already said what I would, if I can't find anything that grabs my attention or if I can't see a way of improving (either it's perfect or it's total crap, either way I can't help) and that pretty well sums it up. Like I said though, generally I'm not in the mood to give c&c so that explains why 85% of time I don't, then in one night I might do it on five threads.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back