I'm new, I have a lot of questions :)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by BenjaminV, Oct 26, 2015.

1. BenjaminV

BenjaminV TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello everyone,

So, I'm new to photography. So far I'm having a lot of fun but I don't really know what I'm doing in the sense that I have, as I've been told, good gear that has a lot of potential that I'm hardly taping into.

I'm here because I have a lot of questions and if anyone feels compelled to answer them or some, it'll be much appreciated :)

I read that a lot of people run their pictures through software- What kind of software is best and where is it cheapest to buy? I looked up adobe lightroom and its very expensive...

I have a Canon 70D

Lenses :

Canon 24-105mm L lens

Canon EFS 10-18mm

Canon 40mm f.28 pancake

Canon 50mm f1.8

I've noticed that I like landscape photography a lot. Mostly because I'm intimidated by the idea of taking pictures of people I don't know - But when I get more knowledgeable and comfortable, I want to be able to do walk-around photography.

I am mostly using my camera in auto - ISO, shutter speed and aperture just go over my head - Or at least the idea of what I'm supposed to do with them all together - how does one know what looks better than what the camera selects automatically? - I think this is all due to my inexperience, but being that I'm a Virgo, this is where I'm stuck.

I took pictures this morning of the sunrise and they were extremely dark - I was using the Canon 10-18 that I just bought. it is a 4.5-5.6 IS STM so I know its not allowing too much light in- Is this where software editing steps in? Or are people just using the higher quality type L's?

I've read that most images go through editing, am I expecting too much out of my raw images?

I hope I uploaded the picture correctly. I really like it, but I wish the bridge was brighter- I don't know if its something I could of helped by changing settings in the camera, or is it just that my lens isn't good enough for that type of photography??

I hope this doesn't put anyone to sleep, thanks for those who take the time to reply!

Attached Files:

2. BenjaminV

BenjaminV TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took this around 3 PM today too, this I think looks nice, but I wish the colors would pop more

Attached Files:

3. SCraig

SCraig Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Start with the tutorials on Cambridge In Colour. They are very good and virtually every one of your questions is answered in them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You might have gotten software with the purchase of your camera. If so, it should be able to do basic editing.

I think nearly every photograph needs some basic editing, such as; straightening, cropping, exposure and white balance corrections. Aside from that, you should be getting them fairly close in camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wyogirl

wyogirl Oh crop! Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm just going to give it to you straight-- Take a class. I'm not saying that to be mean but if you are shooting in auto and want to get better then you NEED to learn to shoot in Manual. The best way to learn is to take a class. Look at your local community college. Even if its a film class, the concepts are the same. You have great gear and no knowledge. A forum cannot replace the classroom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nathan cox

nathan cox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think a course or watching a lot of youtube is the best solution

7. PJoneil

PJoneil TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think you need to learn to shoot in manual immediately. I have recently gotten used to shooting in manual mode the majority of the time now, but I still like AV (aperture priority) mode a lot. You should not neglect google as an amazing learning tool either. This forum is great, but sometimes it is faster to breeze through the web for some stuff. Just type aperture priority mode and go with it. With AV mode you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed. Once you get the hang of aperture mode try TV (shutter priority) mode where you set the shutter and the camera sets aperture for you. Once you get a good grasp on those two then manual can be the next step. Sure there is tons of other stuff to know also but its all about baby steps sometimes. The reason so many people get overwhelmed is because we think we have to learn it all at once. Learning photography is just another process. (BTW, AV and TV are for Canon, I cannot speak for Nikon or other ones, but since you said you had a Canon anyway, you are good.) If you need anything feel free to let me know. I know there are people on here with probably way more knowledge than me, but I do know a few things about a Canon.
    *Also, I am a big fan of Lightroom. You can get the Adobe photography cc package with all access to Lightroom and Photoshop for like $10 a month. It is really worth it since Lightroom used to cost around $180 and Photoshop was a few grand depending on the package you bought.

8. PJoneil

PJoneil TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was also looking at your photos. I'm not familiar with your lens because I haven't gotten to try it yet, but I don't think it's an equipment problem. Editing software could help you "pop" your colors as well as help with your dark bridge problem, But there are tons of other methods you could use in camera to help with the bridge like mess with the exposure or use bracketed shots that way you can expose all parts of the image properly and then combine them in post-edit later. Just giving you some ideas is all, I'm not an expert. Just keep practicing and researching. Check out your camera manual too, it explains a lot of functions. I still bust mine out every once in a while to skim through it and learn something new.

9. AceCo55

AceCo55 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. BenjaminV

BenjaminV TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies! I am reading quite a bit. I am in San Diego this entire week for work and I've been taking a few shots here and there. This is such a nice place to photograph!

I am watching a lot of youtube videos on this- I don't have the time to take a class, unfortunately.

I really like the 10-18mm lens. I really like how much you can fit into your shot

I will keep at it, lol. This camera is too advanced for me I think...should of started with something simpler =\ Oh well, I'll have to grow into it, hehe

11. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't need to take a class on photography to become a better photographer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit