I'm new...some CC please?

AriesMom07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! First post. So back ground story, I have only had my SLR less than a yr. Took me forever to get it (financial issues) and so I've basically had no classes although I'd love to take some. I am still really struggling with settings. Most of my photo's are just taken with the 18-55 kit lens which has so many limitations. I have a 75-300 mm lens but I prefer close ups so this lens is wonderful but not for what I mostly do. Anyways first thing I learned was the built in flash is a huge no no. So unless I'm going for snapshots I do not use it. I had a little shoot with my friends brand new baby yesterday and she had 2 big windows in the house so I set things up in a chair right beside the window the rest of the house was too dark. My settings were Fstop:F/5 Exposure: 1/60 ISO:400 and I had to do quite a bit of editing to get them looking what I thought were decent but still a lil dark on a few. Here goes.

Samuel1 by lillithrenne, on Flickr

Samuel3 by lillithrenne, on Flickr

Samuel5 by lillithrenne, on Flickr

The third one bugs me the lighting in it just sucks but I couldn't seem to edit it any better than that. I'm also not that great at photoshop still learning alot! Any CC appreciated thanks!

Awsome shots

#3 reduce the opacity of the font Allot.

And Brighten the shadows a lil bit

You have a good eye for catching the look of a baby, altho I don't understand why the the baby is only the left half of the picture in #2 and $3.
IMO, these are under-exposed, lit harshly and the wb is cold.

Use more lights or reflectors to soften the light.
(and the text in the pictures is really distracting, IMO)

snagprogram0039lll.jpg

613342781002879248b1bll.jpg

Samuel5 by lillithrenne, on Flickr

I didn't get the opacity changed on the lettering in this pic because I already had it flattened and I have to do some more clone stamping on the original but does this look better?

Can you send me the RAW file, I hate editing JPG's they have no data

You have a good eye for catching the look of a baby, altho I don't understand why the the baby is only the left half of the picture in #2 and $3.
IMO, these are under-exposed, lit harshly and the wb is cold.

Use more lights or reflectors to soften the light.
(and the text in the pictures is really distracting, IMO)

Thanks, They looked alot worse before just very dark. If the light seems harsh in them now it is my editing not being that great I'm assuming. I still have alot to learn there too! As for where the baby was in the shots I had a tiny space to shoot in and only that window for light also little samuel took 2 hours to go to sleep and when he finally did he wasn't letting me pose him at all or move him much without starting to cry ! Lol. I agree I do need some lighting. I don't have any equipment so usually I shy away from anything indoors! Hopefully next year with tax return I can get some equipment! Thanks for your advice much appreciated!

I don't shoot in RAW...I am under the impression they are much bigger files so to save space on my crappy laptop I decided against it also I know very little about RAW really I know most photographers go with it. :/ Sorry!

If he is next to a window, put a big white sheet or cardboard on the opposite side to reflect some light and soften the light.
You need to use your histogram on the back of the camera to judge your exposure. see here

I don't shoot in RAW...I am under the impression they are much bigger files so to save space on my crappy laptop I decided against it also I know very little about RAW really I know most photographers go with it. :/ Sorry!

I understand, I hate using my laptop when I go away to shoot. I don't even try to work on them anymore, I just wait until I get home.

You should Invest in a nice reflector, I got a 42" 5in1 for like 15 bucs on amazon.

Thanks everyone. Traveler I had seen the histograms on my display window but never thought anything of it so thanks. And yeah I definitely need to invest in some equipment I hate having to wait until tax time every year to do anything lol but thats the story of my life. :D

Most reactions

Back