Im new to Automotive Photography. Any tips?

Cody Thompson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi so I'm new to photography let alone automotive photography. I have done two shoots with a couple buddies but I'm wondering if this is going to suffice in the realm of satisfying my customers.
20201230_012409.jpg
20201230_012516.jpg
20201230_012719.jpg
20201230_012759.jpg
20201230_012833.jpg

Hello.

Loving that Stang but then I do like Yank muscle cars.

Last edited:
Have a look at car magazines to see how they shoot cars and put your twist on it.
What part of the market are you aiming at.
Record shots
Advertising
Event , race , showcase
And so on

Automotive photography breaks down into multiple sub categories as mentioned above. So the first step is to determine your market, as the techniques and more importantly the equipment can vary from highly specialized to a bare minimum.

With all the highly reflective surfaces on a car getting a clean, one shot exposure is highly unusual. In most cases environmental shots require light painting and multiple shots composited and blended in PS, to get it. Here's a link for example How to Use Light Painting to Capture Dramatic Car Photography This is a reatively simple example, 20-40 layers or more is more the norm.

You can do it in studio but you'd need some serious money as a Chimera 10'x30' softbox alone will set you back over 14k and that doesn't include the strobes. Forget your crop sensor entry level camera, a pro level model and glass with the megapixels you need will set you back 30k used. Then there's the studio space, first you'll need a building big enough. How about a Cyclorama? Something to get you started Cyclorama: How to Build Your Own Professional 'Infinity Studio' Another link on studio setups Car Studio Photography Set-ups - Core77

How far and in what direction do you want to proceed?

The first question you will have to ask yourself is "how confident am I using PhotoShop?" All automotive photography is highly post processed and making that job easier requires diligent lighting for the capture. What are your clients requirements, for resale or a memento of their ride?

Having worked in that industry before the advent of digital I can vouch for the need of wheel barrows of cash. One project I worked on was a six week shoot for Honda with 4 to 5 working sets going on at the same time in a massive studio. Lots of compositing is required to get you to the final shot. Now I realize I'm talking about commercial work but any client who sells cars always has a brochure to compare your work against so be prepared to step of a cliff and learn to fly with all the technical skills you will need.

Shoot tighter. There's more than enough extra space, and a certain amount of lean going on with the buildings so maybe a lens that isn't quite so short would be better. Change your vantage point, move around and get different and better perspectives. If something in the frame isn't adding to the composition it shouldn't be in the photo. Get in more practice on framing shots and adjusting vantage points.

The first one needs more car and not so much building The second one is a good idea framing with the flowers but there's too much out of focus area in the foreground of the composition; that takes up almost a third of the photo. The third one needs to have less street with blacktop drizzled on cracks in the road, and you don't need a bright noticeable yellow sign on the parking garage (that can be a visual distraction and take the viewer away from the subject, the car). With the last one frame more to the right; eliminate all those posts and poles, etc. back there.

Good idea with the holiday lights, so next learn timing. Get set and wait for the red light to change; as soon as those cars move out of the frame get a shot before the next red light. And yes, it can take some time and persistence and a few traffic light changes to get the shots.

For money making use you may need to get property releases for including recognizable buildings. Try ASMP or PPA for info. on licensing usage, etc.

You have a lot of good ideas, now start learning to check the background first, move around til you figure out a good vantage point, and shoot tighter. You seem to be on the right track, just keep learning and practicing skills til you get to a competitive professional level.

Use a step ladder for slight overhead shots.

ikzkccz.jpg

I like to use a close shot as background for a collage.....

2rEmPrq.jpg

That GT500 pushes my buttons

Really depends
Shoot tighter. There's more than enough extra space, and a certain amount of lean going on with the buildings so maybe a lens that isn't quite so short would be better. Change your vantage point, move around and get different and better perspectives. If something in the frame isn't adding to the composition it shouldn't be in the photo. Get in more practice on framing shots and adjusting vantage points.

The first one needs more car and not so much building The second one is a good idea framing with the flowers but there's too much out of focus area in the foreground of the composition; that takes up almost a third of the photo. The third one needs to have less street with blacktop drizzled on cracks in the road, and you don't need a bright noticeable yellow sign on the parking garage (that can be a visual distraction and take the viewer away from the subject, the car). With the last one frame more to the right; eliminate all those posts and poles, etc. back there.

Good idea with the holiday lights, so next learn timing. Get set and wait for the red light to change; as soon as those cars move out of the frame get a shot before the next red light. And yes, it can take some time and persistence and a few traffic light changes to get the shots.

For money making use you may need to get property releases for including recognizable buildings. Try ASMP or PPA for info. on licensing usage, etc.

You have a lot of good ideas, now start learning to check the background first, move around til you figure out a good vantage point, and shoot tighter. You seem to be on the right track, just keep learning and practicing skills til you get to a competitive professional level.

Agree! Since you're unlikely to get clean, uncluttered backgrounds unless you stage-manage at model-shoot levels, just get closer. Cars are rolling industrial design with recognizable/distinctive features. Focus on that sort of shot rather than the done-to-death, whole car shot anyone with an iPhone can grab. Post is up to you but it won't rescue a mediocre shot. I like to shoot cruise nights(whenever those come back)and favor close, low angles, weird tail lights, dash boards, logos--anything to keep people out of the shot. Above all, think composition and background.

multiple shots composited and blended in PS, to get it. Here's a link for example How to Use Light Painting to Capture Dramatic Car Photography This is a reatively simple example, 20-40 layers or more is more the norm.

Interesting you say this. I've been experimenting with Focus Bracketing in the R6 but on macro shots. When I saw this thread I thought auto might be an application as well.

Blending multiple layers for focus or exposure works equally well, so long as the camera and subject remain stationery. In the case of the auto link the layers were used to blend exposures where light painting was employed, to bring out areas that would have been hidden, and to kill reflections.

Another technique called the "Brenzier Method", uses multiple rows of shots of a stationary subject but the camera is moved in a patteren over the subject. The shots are then opened as layers in PS, and merged allowing it to reposition images. The resultant image is an impossibly thin depth of focus, yet a very wide angle similar to that of a large format camera. I did a write up on it here Large Format Effect With A Full Frame DSLR

I think that you have a good handle on it so far. My only suggestion might be to get close. I started shooting automobiles with 18-35 so that I can get really close. This is especially helpful during car shows. There is less chance of someone walking between you and the car. Also, don't be afraid to get low. I spent quite a bit of time lying on the ground shooting upwards and level with the grill of a car. It is a perspective that is not often taken. I really like the pics.

Most reactions

Back