im posting from work

manda

instigator of pottymouthedness
Reaction score
Website
www.lyptonvillage.org
and i never post from work!!
just had to share..

damn these computers make the layout look grey and boring.

hows your day kids?
mines been good for a Monday.

im hungry and bored and really hungry. ive eaten one choc chip bickie today and thats it. its freaking 4.15pm!!!!!!!

i hope youre all having a pleasant sunday evening.

tell me a story...

Here is a local legend/fairy tale.

Long along, there use to be giants whom roamed this land. They dominated the lands from the rising mountains to the Denila. In this land there was a beautiful young woman named Susitna. At a peaceful time in this land, Susitna was married to the son of the chief. Susitna was the happiest woman in the land from the day forward. She could never imagine things would change.

After many years, there erupted a war in a distance land. The men of the land had gathered together and prepared for this battle. As they left Susitna's husband promised to return to his bride. She promised to await his return from this battle in distance lands.

After the men returned, Susitna grew cold as her husband didn't return. She asked her parents for support and returned to their house. One night she visited a shama. There the Shama gave Susitna a drink that would put her to sleep till her husband returned. She waited several days before giving up hope and drinking the solution. Till this day she lays waiting for him, looking to the waring west.

Here she waits

Changed it a bit to make sense to people who are not from here. That mountain is just across an Inlet from downtown Anchorage. Mt. Susitna aka Sleeping Lady.

It's a bank holiday over here so everyone is having a very relaxed monday.... No work! I might go to the pub.

Just getting ready to leave for work. I know this week will be a lot better than last week!

Scurra said:
It's a bank holiday over here so everyone is having a very relaxed monday.... No work! I might go to the pub.

I see they still celebrate St. Bank in the UK, money talks there!
Definitely go to the pub and sink a couple for me!

There is an OZ version of that story (sort of). It's about 1.5 hours drive from here at a place called Wingen. The lump of rock is known as the Wingen Maiden. Will have to get out and take a snap for you all to see as she's more recognisable than Susitna.

luckydog said:
There is an OZ version of that story (sort of). It's about 1.5 hours drive from here at a place called Wingen. The lump of rock is known as the Wingen Maiden. Will have to get out and take a snap for you all to see as she's more recognisable than Susitna.

Cool, Lucky, do it! :D

Would like to see this distance cousin of hers. Most people dont see it till it is mention you are looking at her back, as she is facing West looking for her husband.

The name of the town below this mountain is called Wingen, which is aboriginal for "fire" so i guess you can call her the fire maid.

Here is a short story about how she came to be....use Google if you want to know more, it has a bit on it.

In the legends of the Wanaruah it is said that the Gumaroi tribe from over the Liverpool Range sent a raiding party south to Broke to steal Wanaruah women for wives. Forewarned by the Wiradjuri people the Wanaruah warriors prepared themselves and headed off to meet them. One of the Wanaruah women sat at the edge of the cliff in question waiting for the return of her beloved. When he failed to do so she asked the sky god Biamie to kill her as she could not bear to live without him. Taking pity on her he turned her to stone. As she was transfigured she cried tears of fire setting Burning Mountain alight.

The Burning Mountain in the story is a few kilometers away and is actually "on fire". Thanks to an underground coal seam.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back