I'm VERY new..Some help?

mrshaleyberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok..I may sound super stupid, but there's a couple questions that I need answered. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm NEW to photography, but I am slowly getting more into it each day. I started out just taking pictures of my son, and now I'm moving on to other people.

Question #1 What exactly does shooting in "RAW" mean?

Question #2 Where can I learn more about aperture, f-stop, and all that jazz? Mainly I want to know how to shoot in manual so I don't feel so beginner, always using "Auto".

Question #3 Where can I get a cheap but good studio kit to start off with (lights, backdrop, etc)?

That's about all of my questions for now. Hope some of you can help me out!

Thanks so much!
Haley

1. RAW is an unprocessed image. Whether you see it or not, if you're shooting in JPG your camera is processing the image slightly internally. RAW files give you more info to work with when you're processing. Things that look pure white or pure black on JPG actually have some detail present that you can't see. Through post processing you can bring those details out.

2. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276022490&sr=8-1]Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson[/ame] Fantastic book. Easy to read, lots of examples, I learned a ton from him.

3. Something like this might work for you.

1.Shooting in Raw gives you way more control when PP. It takes up more space for each exposure but well worth it if you do PP. PP= Post Process. Just in case you did not know what that meant.

2. This book is a must and it is cheap. Trust me, get it and read. And after that you will find yourself re-reading it a few times. Not that it is hard to read but tons of VERY helpful tips and helps you understand shooting. Book: Understanding exposure: how to shoot great photographs with a film or digital camera...by Bryan Peterson. here is the link, even Boarders and BArnes and Noble have it. Link: Understanding exposure: how to shoot great photographs with a film or digital camera [Book]

3. I would try B&H and maybe check Craigslist and Ebay. For B&H, here is the link: B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

Hope that helps. And enjoy yourself here!!!

Last edited:
Ok..I may sound super stupid, but there's a couple questions that I need answered. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm NEW to photography, but I am slowly getting more into it each day. I started out just taking pictures of my son, and now I'm moving on to other people.

Question #1 What exactly does shooting in "RAW" mean?

Question #2 Where can I learn more about aperture, f-stop, and all that jazz? Mainly I want to know how to shoot in manual so I don't feel so beginner, always using "Auto".

Question #3 Where can I get a cheap but good studio kit to start off with (lights, backdrop, etc)?

That's about all of my questions for now. Hope some of you can help me out!

Thanks so much!
Haley

Until you can get to the bookstore, you can pick up heaps of free information, here:

Home

Adorama Learning Center

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

1. RAW is an unprocessed image. Whether you see it or not, if you're shooting in JPG your camera is processing the image slightly internally.
JPEG processes the image a ton.

If you have a 10 MP camera, a RAW file will wind up being about 30 MB.

That same file shot as a JPEG will wind up being about 2 MB.

JPEG interpolates the RAW image data. It saves virtually all of the luminance data, and discards 80% of the color data after having averaged the color data in 8 pixel by 8 pixel squares. If you zoom in far enough you can see the 8x8 squares.

In the process it also globally applies contrast, saturation, and sharpening without checking with the photographer first.

JPEG processes the image a ton.

That same file shot as a JPEG will wind up being about 2 MB.

I don't get this :confused:

Why does my 18mp generally create files in the 24 MB range and my XSI, which is 12mp, generate files in the 15 MB range.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: It depends on the bit-per-pixel your camera shoots in... if your camera shoots 14 bit, this is 1.75 bytes (8bits = 1 Byte). Multiply your megapixels by this number and it will give you an estimate as to how large the image size will be in Mb. This doesn't include file headers, embedded color profiles, EXIF, or whatever else may be included.

Mega Pixels aren't Mega Bytes.

I used a 10 MP example and round numbers to keep it simple.

My 12.3 MP D300 writes RAW files that range from 18.5 to 20 MB depending on the scene captured.

My 12.3 MP D300 writes RAW files that range from 18.5 to 20 MB depending on the scene captured.

So let's see...you're saying.....

10mp camera = 30mb raw file
12.3mp camera = 20mb raw file

Please do explain how and why a camera that is 2mp less would be 10mb larger?

Is it possible that the more advanced image processor could produce smaller RAW images?

Is it possible that the more advanced image processor could produce smaller RAW images?

I honestly have no idea how that is possible...hopefully somebody can explain it.

I honestly have no idea how that is possible...hopefully somebody can explain it.
He was just using round figures to make an example. My 21.1mp camera produces files that range from 27-35mb while the Jpegs can approach 15mb (using LR to convert to Jpeg).
Generally the Raw file will be much larger.

To the OP, raw allows you to fix things that would be difficult to correct with a Jpeg. If you get the white balance way off you can easily correct it with a Raw image, with a Jpeg there is far less wiggle room.
As far as learning how to use the camera Understanding Exposure is the book everyone is going to point you to, it is the best reference for getting started and from there you can segue into other books by Peterson.
As far as studio equipment is concerned, I would get a good flash head first and learn how to use it. On-Camera Flash by Neil Van Niekerk is a great book for this. There is a lot that can be accomplished with an on camera flash when used correctly and it will be much more versatile than a home studio setup.

For file sizes you need to take into account content of your picture as well as the ISO setting as the noise induced at different ISO levels will affect the file size produced.

As far as content... Taking a picture of a solid black or white object will yield a very very small image, while taking a picture of something detailed like a landscape photo will yield a much larger file.

When shooting JPEG other factors will play with file sizes like what quality setting, amount of noise reduction being applied (if any), whether you're using the auto lighting optimizer (if your camera has that), etc.

Here is the complete breakdown from one of my D300's:

(All shots of the same scene)

RAW 14-bit, file size 25.58 MB
RAW 12-bit, file size 19.63 MB
TIFF 8-bit..............36.55 MB
JPEG Fine 8-bit..........7.71 MB
JPEG Normal 8-bit......5.16 MB
JPEG Basic 8-bit........2.17 MB

The 14-bit RAW file opened as a 16-bit .psd file in photoshop is 69.91 MB.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back