I'm volunteering at the local pub

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and I normally serve beer, or nothing stronger than wine. However, today, I was placed where we serve spirits, whiskey, drinks and shots and stuff - and it was crowded!

"Can i get three aloe vera andone rum and coke?"
Me: "ehh, suuure!"

starts mixing for the first aloe vera. This one is supposed to be shaken, and I manage to add the soda before shaking, so the pressure makes the thing almost expolode in m hands LOL! I spent like forever on that customer, hehe. I got bette after a while, though. I've never drunk drinks before, so all the stuff was new to me except rum and coke. I'e heard of gin and tonic (which some refer to as a GT - incredibly confusing :) ), and I drink bourbon (which, I'm told, is nothing like whiskey, and that Americans can't make liquor)

Fun night, but I really prefer to serve beer instead of using forever on mixing the drinks.

Anyone else with bartender experience?

edit: about the volunteering thing: at our uni we have one place to go to, and without students volunteering it would ever run. It's a great thing, this. We have so many active students willing to donate their time.

I've bartended at a few weddings/parties. It's usually pretty fun, especially when I can make a few to drink myself. ;)

I can make a pretty good Caesar. At least that's what it's called in Canada. Other places, it's a Bloody Mary.

Hmmm, Canada.... Do you say "aboat" instead of "about"?? :)

I never understood that one....Nobody I know says "Aboot" :scratch:

We do tend to say "eh" sometimes though. :lol:

I volunteered once at a party and eveybody seemed to like my drinks but the people throwing the party... Seems I was putting in too much alcohol per drink :lol:

SOMETIMES?! I live in Buffalo, 30 minutes from the border. With our dollar being weaker, we get a TON of canadians coming to our malls to go shopping. Whenever I go there, every other word I hear is "eh". I've even caught myself saying it a few times! :O

Also, nobody from the southern ontario area knows how to freakin drive. Every time I go near the mall I darn near get run over by an ontario plate. It's ridiculous!

I'm done ranting now. Carry on.

Well I never bartendered, but I've worked in a tearoom. I don't know if you have these places in the US so quick explanation: It's a place where people go to drink tea, coffee and different sorts of beverages made of them (like tea cocktails made of some sorts of tea, juices, syrups etc..). So these places are usually quiet, the ambient is more "domestic", you cant smoke cigarettes in there..plus, many tearooms serve water pipes.

So the one where I worked is VERY popular, so instead of quiet it gets really busy and often you dont know what to do first..My job was preparing the water pipes, serving customers, taking orders..and that was the funniest part because I could spend years at one table explaining the differences between the tea sorts, the tobaccos and stuff...and then some of the clients just ended up telling me to get them "whatever I think they might like" - I hated that :D
But the funniest part was when some kids came, obviously not of age to get a pipe and asked for it..I really enjoyed their faces when the conversation went something like this:

A: "We would like a water pipe"
Me: "And are you AT LEAST 15?"
A: "Sure we are"
Me: "Okay can I see your citizens card? (this is how a sort of ID here is called and you always have to carry it around)"
A: "Weee...we forgot it at home"
Me: "Okay..then ISIC? Insurance card? Drivers licence?"
A: "....."
Me: "Sorry, no pipe for you" *evil smile*

And in Quebec, we say toi and tsu a lot.

skieur

And in Quebec, we say toi and tsu a lot.

skieur

Do you mean TOI and TU, and that you don't speak a word of French?

Go Ski yourself!

Pronunciation wise I mean "twe" and "tsu". You are obviously NOT a francophone Quebecker.:lmao:

And as far as not speaking a word of French: "Te don bein gougoune!" (Your European French won't help}

skieur:lol:

Last edited:
And as far as not speaking a word of French: "Te don bein gougoune!" (Your European French won't help}

But that's not french! That's the language of Quebec. Two different animals.

French is from Europe where France is located the last time I checked.

And I was told that the Canadians I could not understand where not of the educated type. Very possible considering that when I get away from the Paris area, I run into the same kind of problem. With farmers, peasants, etc whose education level is fairly low.

Reminds me of a neighbor in my area of Maryland, only 45 minutes fom the center of DC, that I could not understand. When I could not understand what he tried to say to me I told him to talk to my wife. Unfortunately, she didn't understand him any more than I did although she was from the US...

Don't get pissed, get funny.

But that's not french! That's the language of Quebec. Two different animals.

French is from Europe where France is located the last time I checked.

And I was told that the Canadians I could not understand where not of the educated type. Very possible considering that when I get away from the Paris area, I run into the same kind of problem. With farmers, peasants, etc whose education level is fairly low.

Reminds me of a neighbor in my area of Maryland, only 45 minutes fom the center of DC, that I could not understand. When I could not understand what he tried to say to me I told him to talk to my wife. Unfortunately, she didn't understand him any more than I did although she was from the US...

Don't get pissed, get funny.

Sure it is French. French colonization of Quebec dates back to the early 17th century and they were educated artisans from the urban areas of Poitou and Normandy who were accustomed to high society and central administrative French as well as their own regional dialects and local dialects were common throughout France. It sounds like you have a problem with dialects when you get away from Paris. (It has absolutely nothing to do with education level.)

Because of the need for commercial interaction within Quebec, this province developed a strongly unified French, before France did, back in Europe.

Quebec with a diversified French population in a new country obviously evolved its French over the next 3 centuries in a manner that was different from France.

If the language of Quebec is not French, then the language of the United States is not English.:lol: (If French is only from Europe, then so is English)

skieur

Considering I've helped Brits get understood in DC, please come on over and try your French here...

BTW, I don't think the Brits think Americans speak english :)

Problem too many Brits and Yanks have, in my experience..they cannot articulate International English well enough to be understood by non-native speakers of English.

Considering I've helped Brits get understood in DC, please come on over and try your French here...

BTW, I don't think the Brits think Americans speak english :)

I started watching the first episode of the Britisk "The Office" without subtitles. That was really hard! I don't normally need subs, whether it's brits of americans, but those guys had a really broad accent.

I consider both brits and americans English speakers... :)

Most reactions

Back