Import metadata from CSV file

clarkw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I have photos where the Date Taken has been deleted/lost. However the name of the photo has a date component.
I am able to create a CSV document that has the PhotoName and DateTaken (actual).
Is there a way I can modify the metadata on all the photos using the CSV document as a lookup table?

For example, my CSV file will contain:
Photo Name Date Taken
IMG_20181101 2018-11-01

So I need a way to change the Date Taken on all the photos in the CSV file to the value from the Date Taken column

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you

Hello and welcome, this problem is one I have never had in fact its all gone over my head. Good luck

I'm new to working with Meta data on photos. Maybe I'm not thinking about it the right way.
Maybe I should be looking at ways to create EXIF files instead?

A number of programs allow you to change the EXIF, some in batch mode, but I'm not aware of a way to import a csv. How are you noticing the EXIF corruptions? Is it only the date that's removed?

Other things seems to be missing too, like GPS coordinates. It also seemed to have effected some photos but not others. Maybe it's from a specific phone/camera?
There are around 35,000 photos and maybe 20% have missing meta data.
I'm mostly interested in the Date Taken, since this will help me sort them out and it's the easiest to get because it's in the name in most of them.

So maybe not importing it via CSV, but what software will help me batch edit EXIF data?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back