What's new

Impressionistic-slow shutter Snowfall

Dagwood56

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jul 19, 2007
Messages
3,025
Reaction score
491
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My latest in camera creation. Thoughts welcome.

 
I think that's too much of an impressionism. Now if you gonna paint that, it will be quite different story. Well, printed large it may create nice patch on dark wall and then it might be interesting. :)
 
I agree--too impressionistic. Maybe had you halved the shutter speed?

Jake
 
Thanks for the comments. I was going back and forth on how I felt with this one. I like it, but I agree it isn't as distinct as I would have liked and that's partly thanks to photo bucket, but also because of the heavily falling, but very fine snow. Thanks again.
 
It has a nice minimalist feel to it. The only thing that bothers me is that green blob in the lower left corner. I'd desaturate it or just crop the left side to get rid of it.
 
It has a nice minimalist feel to it. The only thing that bothers me is that green blob in the lower left corner. I'd desaturate it or just crop the left side to get rid of it.

^That. I kinda like it, but in addition to the green blob being a little distracting, I think there's too much of the foreground grass/snow anyway. I'd crop it from the bottom to just above that green blob, and I think I'd like it much better!
 
Carol, consider upping the sharpness and the saturation. I tried it with some of my "impressionistic" shots and I liked the effect. Of course, it's all related to taste, so maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it.
 
Something a little more like this?

 
Carol, consider upping the sharpness and the saturation. I tried it with some of my "impressionistic" shots and I liked the effect. Of course, it's all related to taste, so maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll hate it.

I'll give it a try when I have more time. I have done a few that way, and I liked the look, but for the most part, I usually go for the more muted colors. :)
 
I like the idea and have played around with this type thing myself a couple of times (rain, poppies in the grass); I've done it giving the camera a quick brief twist of the wrist to create movement. I find it tricky to get some illusion of movement but not too much blur etc. - challenging I think! but fun to try.

I think your take on it is spot on Carol. I like it but maybe it needs a bit more clarity. I wonder how it would have looked as a vertical? maybe give a little more sense of the trees and not in quite so close.
 
I like the idea and have played around with this type thing myself a couple of times (rain, poppies in the grass); I've done it giving the camera a quick brief twist of the wrist to create movement. I find it tricky to get some illusion of movement but not too much blur etc. - challenging I think! but fun to try.

I think your take on it is spot on Carol. I like it but maybe it needs a bit more clarity. I wonder how it would have looked as a vertical? maybe give a little more sense of the trees and not in quite so close.

Thanks for your thoughts Sharon. I did give thought to doing a vertical, but felt it would take away from the landscape look I wanted. I also thought about including more of the sky to bring out the tree top line, but I have found getting too much sky in these shots blows everything out, because as the camera is moved, it pulls the sky down and into the middle of the image. :) As you said, its challenging - but fun. :)
 
I think it's awesome. Never seen that done before. Very nice.
 
I think it's awesome. Never seen that done before. Very nice.

Thank you. I had another one I did where I moved the camera horizontally, but the snowfall completely obliterated the trees....the foreground looked kind of cool though. :) The shot above was done with a 50mm lens, 100iso, f/13 at 1/6sec. with a slight vertical movement of the camera. :)
 
Ooooo!! Lovin the second one!!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom