What's new

Improvement - critique/ discussion on shot requested

DevC

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 18, 2014
Messages
198
Reaction score
31
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some practice getting back into photography...i still feel a little wary of my camera even though i think i got the gist of everything back. What seems to be the problem I feel although, is I am lacking interesting subjects.

I feel I am back to Ok with my lightroom/photoshop skills, but what tips would you give to improve my camera in hand skills?


$14428128074_332ce5ac5e_b_d.webp




$14427945542_52cdea787c_b_d.webp

^^color manipulation...is the focal point there/interesting? I want to say so, but to a few i've asked, it seems they cannot find it.

$14429891781_aa3bef482a_b_d.webp'
^^Thats an HDR...the buildings on the right I don't agree with and throw off the photo for me.
 
Some practice getting back into photography...i still feel a little wary of my camera even though i think i got the gist of everything back. What seems to be the problem I feel although, is I am lacking interesting subjects.
w.png

I feel I am back to Ok with my lightroom/photoshop skills, but what tips would you give to improve my camera in hand skills?


View attachment 77305


^^Thats an HDR...the buildings on the right I don't agree with and throw off the photo for me.

love this one..
but they all look nice :D
Good work:thumbsup:
 
I like #2 better because of the colour...interesting.

love this one..
but they all look nice :D
Good work:thumbsup:

Thanks guys! :)

what tips would you give to improve my camera in hand skills?

Work on improving composition.

Thanks for the feedback.

Does it seem that my composition is off in the sense that I'm not holding my camera at a good angle (messed up horizon?) or am i not defining a good enough focal point/ items in the pics should be in different locations?

Thanks!
 
Nothing holds interest. The selective color and color hue swapping are just parlor tricks.

The last has a nice tone to it, but again, no subject matter.
 
3rd shot is best for me, but If you'd taken stood face on to it maybe it would have appeared more of a "giant in the field" and you'd have lost the houses, For me the first two are not for me, not sure if it's over saturated or maybe it's just not my taste..

Keep on clicking ..
 
Does it seem that my composition is off in the sense that I'm not holding my camera at a good angle (messed up horizon?) or am i not defining a good enough focal point/ items in the pics should be in different locations?

Good composition is an art in itself. You need to learn what makes for a good composition and see it before you take the photo. Don't worry much about holding your camera level, as you almost cannot do it in camera anyway. Straightening is just one of those things that we all have to do in post.
 
Nothing holds interest. The selective color and color hue swapping are just parlor tricks.

The last has a nice tone to it, but again, no subject matter.

Thanks for the feedback.
This has been my honest flaw for a while actually (before hiatus) aswell. Finding an interesting subject will require some time and attention to creativity on my part. Again, this is probably going to have to be some learning curves for me.

Since we are on the topic, what inspiration do you all use to find interesting subject matters?

3rd shot is best for me, but If you'd taken stood face on to it maybe it would have appeared more of a "giant in the field" and you'd have lost the houses, For me the first two are not for me, not sure if it's over saturated or maybe it's just not my taste..



Keep on clicking ..

I tried messing with some of the angles...if i get home and get a moment to upload some other snaps i took of the area, i will show you what i mean.

As for the saturation, I am ok with the colors personally. I do agree with some composition and bland subject issues though. As you may see in my last quote reply.

Thank you!

Good composition is an art in itself. You need to learn what makes for a good composition and see it before you take the photo. Don't worry much about holding your camera level, as you almost cannot do it in camera anyway. Straightening is just one of those things that we all have to do in post.
I agree with what you are saying. I still need to develop that portion of my eye more.

I sometimes like to leave things untouched, which may be causing some composition based issues.
 
Taking in some of your guys advice, i tried to improve...
Is it getting better with composition or worse? Further, am i putting some interest into my focal point, or am i missing it?



14462214742_78cabd39e7.jpg

14462453094_bb920fdfc2.jpg
 
these are much more interesting and well composed.
 
these are much more interesting and well composed.

Thanks, i guess photo memory is slowly starting to come back.

More practice right?


What adds to interest in a subject? My goal has always been to put something unique or not actually common as a subject of interest, which makes it difficult to put interest in a subject/photo.
 
what is the subject of your first two shots?
 
what is the subject of your first two shots?
For the first one, my goal was to have the fallen trees become the subject, and place the "line" coming from the tree to reach the center...if that makes sense.

The second one, i wanted the middle of the photo to be sort of the focal point/subject...maybe it failed
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom