Improvement or point of stagnation?

23498608596_e4f75b233e_b.jpg

Went overboard on this one. Just a quick edit. Blurring background. I just wanted to say, me being a new guy here. I am a beginner and absolutely dont think I can do it any better. Im just trying to give my input and thats it. Im here to learn and absorb as much info as possible:)

I also believe you can learn from anybody...A master or a beginner. Each bring an often fresh perspective to things that you might have overlooked:)

Last edited:
I would try shoot with a different f-stop, make the background blur a little more, and the subject pop.

I think the OP is at the limit there.
they can spend more on a longer focal length f2.8 lens to get more background blur and get beyond "stagnation"

Hmmm? Interesting. I just saw that now. I seem to get a lot more separated background/foreground at f/4 or even f/5.6?... I shoot a lot of concert phtography and use mostly a 70-200 f/4 L lens....Get beautiful bokeh on that one?

Sadly Bokeh isn't in the dictionary for most things ;) It those up some odd autocorrections at times ;)

And yes I'm at the limit with my lens; but its also that the jumps most easily shot with less background/foreground distractions are also right at the edge of the arena; so there's very little actual difference in distance between subject and the wall. Shooting closer would increase the relative difference in the distances; but at the same time shooting closer means a much harder job to frame things as rider and horse rise up and move around a lot more.

Sadly its a weakness of the venue.

Went overboard on this one. Just a quick edit. Blurring background. I just wanted to say, me being a new guy here. I am a beginner and absolutely dont think I can do it any better. Im just trying to give my input and thats it. Im here to learn and absorb as much info as possible:)

I also believe you can learn from anybody...A master or a beginner. Each bring an often fresh perspective to things that you might have overlooked:)

Interesting; you've put a fair bit of punch into the shot with a boost in contrast. I tend to be leery of the contrast slider since whilst I know it does improve things in genera; its very easy to go overboard. Looking at the riders face I would argue that you've potentially done just that and gone just a little too far over.
Personally Contrast for "pop" is something that I'd consider, in a shot like that, to be more subtle and done on the horse and rider alone to make them the focus; but subtly rather than in-your-face overtly so that the viewers eye is drawn to the area of higher contrast without it standing out too much on its own.

Absolutely overread...I am the worst when it comes to post treatment:) That is certainly my number one priority as of now. I am fairly happy with my compositions etc, but my post stuff is like a complete beginners.

These could benefit from some straightening; I couldn't figure out at first but realized that makes them look off. I'd go by the lines in the white background. Usually doing hockey I'd use the posts in the glass as a guide - I'd often frame so whatever post was closest to center ice was parallel to one side of the viewfinder. With these you might have convergent/angled horizontal lines because of the vantage point or perspective but it seems like the vertical lines should be straight.

1 copy.jpg 3 copy.jpg
2 copy.jpg 4 copy.jpg

The one with the rider in profile looks like it was captured as the rider was anticipating and looking toward the next jump, which shows the face. It might work to get something different of the jumps besides the straight on shots where mostly you see horse and signage more than the rider.

I found in hockey the dasher ads would be in the pictures, so I'd have to take those into consideration. Usually shooting sports the aperture is midrange to small, except maybe doing a closeup, since you need a good amount of distance in focus. The signage will show and having it a little out of focus doesn't necessarily minimize it much - the lettering has a lot of geometric patterns and lines and contrast and bright colors so it tends to stand out (especially against the gray and tan).

Have you tried getting the jump when the horse's front hooves are coming over heading toward the ground (or just as it's starting to clear)? That might bring the rider up and more into view if you're shooting from in front. Waiting another second (or even just a fraction of a second longer) might make a difference because you'd have the rider going up as the horse is going forward and down.

I went to a sports photography workshop at the NCAA headquarters some years ago, and one of the examples the photographer gave was shooting a rodeo/bull riding event. He said he went a day ahead and watched - noticed each time there was a point where the bull's hind legs were up in the air which put the rider lower, with one arm up - he knew that would be a moment that would give him a good shot. This is his site although I don't know if the rodeo shots here are what I'm remembering; I know he's done the Ky. Derby etc. Sports Portfolio | Dave Black

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back