Improving Images?

2good2btru

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a quick question:

Most of you, if not all of you, know that when you take a picture on a 5+ Megapixel camera the image is quite large. I have an 8.0 Megapixel camera (just a cheapy) that takes alright pictures. Sometimes, however, the pictures come out a little fuzzy and grainy.

Since the image is so large, is there a software program that can take that massive file and shrink it down without losing ANY pixels so that the photo is optimized and has better color and vibrance and all that? I know many photo programs can scale images down, but that's not what I want. I basically am trying to pack all of those pixels into a smaller package in hopes that the image will look better.

Is this even a real question? I'm a complete noob to photography so if I'm going about this all wrong, please let me know. Thanks for all your help!

Can you shrink the file size and not loose any pixels.... Yes, but it actually compresses the image, and makes it look worse.

Im no expert on this, but that's my thoughts.

I'm not really worried about saving space or shrinking the file size or any of that. The image could be 30MB and I still wouldn't care as long as the picture turned out nice and crisp. Plus, with the size of Hard Drives today, who needs to be frugal about disk space?

I'm just really hoping there's a solution. Thanks again, everyone!

When you reduce an image you are throwing away data. All adjustments including sharpening should be done at the highest resolution you have available. And sharpening is likely the edit you are looking for. In fact many people re-sharpen an image after reducing it for web display.

Note that you can increase the DPI (dots per inch) of an image, but this does not really pack the pixels any tighter, it just makes the image smaller and in some cases ready for various print media. Re-sampling an image to a larger size is another issue.

Ultimately the goal is to get the correct exposure, including focus IN CAMERA.

-Shea

So, basically, I should just kind of forget this entire thing and try sharpening my images in a software application, or become a better photographer and get nicer gear? Haha.

So, basically, I should just kind of forget this entire thing and try sharpening my images in a software application, or become a better photographer and get nicer gear? Haha.

Nicer gear always helps, but knowing how to use your gear to the best of its abilities is a vital thing if you want great photos.

Most reactions

Back