In My Younger Days of Immortality,

pendennis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
the thoughts of danger to me personally never entered the calculus in taking photos. On May 5, 1969, I was jarred into reality from what sounded like a huge explosion. I grabbed my camera, jumped into the car, and in short order, found the source of the explosion. The old Bronoco Chemical Company, just west of downtown Louisville, had suffered a huge explosion of unknown origin at its tank storage facility. While police and fire were responding, I managed to get within a block of the conflagration. I managed to get off three exposures before the police hustled a number of watchers, including me to a safer area. I was the photographer for a volunteer rescue squad, but my badge seemed not to hold sway with anyone. To be honest, I saw no danger from the tops blowing of the storage tanks; all I saw were some amazing images.

This image was the first of the three, but remains my favorite. Taken with a Petri FT, Vivitar 135mm f/3.5 preset, and Ektachrome film. Exposure setting are lost to history.

Bronoco Chemical Fire - Louisville - 05-05-1969 - Take 1 - For Upload.jpg

Hmm, you really had that Photo-Journalist mentality.
I remember a someone who used to have a Police band radio and seek out an opportunity to document things ... a friend from College.

Nice shot. for the longest time I thought that accidents only happened to other people. Now people seem to try their best to knock me off my motorcycle so I have a different view now.

Last edited:
To be honest, I saw no danger from the tops blowing of the storage tanks
:biglaugh: Yeah, then we all get older and appreciate danger more, right? Good on those first responders to hustle you out of there.

Terrific shot- very dramatic. Glad it's stood the test of time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back