Indoor sport photography

MomentInTime

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if there is anyone here that has any experience with this(indoor sports photography). Any tips and pointers would be appreciated. Im looking to get a Canon T2i just to give you some reference of the gear I will be working with. I will probably be getting some lenses appropriate to the task, so hopefully I wont be shooting with the kit 18-55 lens. I will be shooting Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu just to put an idea out there of the subjects I will be taking pictures of. The lighting would be typical florescent lighting.
What lenses would work the best and what possible accessories would I need to get the best result i.e. lenses, lighting, filters.

Any help would be appreciated:D. Thanks for your time

MomentInTime

24-105mm f/4L IS paired with a flash will take you far.

It really depends on what your budget is and how far you're going to be from the action. If it's a school, training situation, or posed and you can get close to the grapplers, you could get away with using a fast medium length prime lens. If it's more of a media-type situation at tournaments and such, you'll need more reach if you really want to fill your viewfinder.

I have shot quite a bit of wrestling from the edge of a mat with a 1Dmk2 and a 70-200 large studio flash at my side aimed at the ceiling, i would have thought the mats would be similar size

thank you that will give me something to start with I will keep that in mind, thank you very much. Much appreciated.

momentinTime

yeah we actually roll on wrestling mats so they are exactly the same size. good lookin out thank you very much

momentintime

It really depends on what your budget is and how far you're going to be from the action. If it's a school, training situation, or posed and you can get close to the grapplers, you could get away with using a fast medium length prime lens. If it's more of a media-type situation at tournaments and such, you'll need more reach if you really want to fill your viewfinder.
i will be right on top of the action for the most part i think i will be like 7-15 feet away honetly maybe closer if the refferee will allow it. but 7-15 would be baseline i think.

moment in time

70-200 at 70mm on a 1.3 crop 1Dmk2 plus studio flash 14" reflector off the ceiling iso1250 so as not to get a dark background
792737034_uLhPr-L.jpg

I think it would be wise to maybe rent a couple of lens first. It also really depends on how close to the mat you will be. I would look at a 35, 50, and 85mm prime lens due to they are a little faster which can help with focusing and would increase you shutter speed. But then again if you are able to use flash a zoom may be a better option. Hope this helps!

Most reactions

Back