Inexpensive Macro Lens

For low cost dedicated macro lens, you may want to look for Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro lens. I do not think they make the lens anymore, but I saw it listed once in awhile on craigslist as well as ebay. If you find one, make sure the lens comes with a diopter. With the diopter, it is capable of 1:1 macro. From what I read on the net, build quality is only 2 out of 5 stars, but it is quite good optically. For a little over $100 new, I think it is a bargain.

This is the flickr group and you will see a lot of examples there.
Flickr: The Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro Pool

Cosina also make the lens for other company, so you may also look for Vivitar, Promaster, Phoenix ...

Reviews:
Vivitar Lens: Primes - Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro - SLRgear.com!
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

A search in ebay yields few Nikon mount lenses there.
100mm f 3.5 macro | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Something else one may consider is the use of a Raynox DCR 150 or 250 clip-on close-up lens. They sell for about $80 & will clip onto the front of most lenses. I just took a quick shot of a raisin with a DCR 150 on a Vivitar 135/2.8 @ f14 & 1/4s. The distance from the lens to the subject is 7"/18cm.

P1070670sm.jpg

This is the full image, no cropping.

Last edited:
Canon also makes a Macro "lens" that screws on like a filter. Comes in different sizes to fit most lenses. Don't think it gives true1:1 but I used one for awhile and IQ was quite good.

For low cost dedicated macro lens, you may want to look for Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro lens. I do not think they make the lens anymore, but I saw it listed once in awhile on craigslist as well as ebay. If you find one, make sure the lens comes with a diopter. With the diopter, it is capable of 1:1 macro. From what I read on the net, build quality is only 2 out of 5 stars, but it is quite good optically. For a little over $100 new, I think it is a bargain.

This is the flickr group and you will see a lot of examples there.
Flickr: The Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro Pool

Cosina also make the lens for other company, so you may also look for Vivitar, Promaster, Phoenix ...

Reviews:
Vivitar Lens: Primes - Vivitar 100mm f/3.5 AF Macro - SLRgear.com!
Phoenix AF 100mm f/3.4 Macro Lens - A Nikonians Product Review
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

A search in ebay yields few Nikon mount lenses there.
100mm f 3.5 macro | eBay

Thank you so much . I am going to look into these now :-D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Something else one may consider is the use of a Raynox DCR 150 or 250 clip-on close-up lens. They sell for about $80 & will clip onto the front of most lenses. I just took a quick shot of a raisin with a DCR 150 on a Vivitar 135/2.8 @ f14 & 1/4s. The distance from the lens to the subject is 7"/18cm.

P1070670sm.jpg

This is the full image, no cropping.

This is pretty nice too , will the Raynox DCR 150 be compatible on a 50mm lens ?

The Raynox will fit provided that the screwthread/filter thread of the lens is a suitable size for the clipon adaptor. If its not you can use stepping rings (cheap on ebay) to allow the adaptor to fit onto the lens.

However the Raynox (and other similar close up lens attachments) give less magnification when used on a short focal length lens as when used on a long one. For 50mm I would personally use a set of Kenko extension tubes to get maximum magnification gain rather than the clip on Raynox adaptors - that is at least to get pure magnification gain; image quality wise they are very similar.

105mm f4 ais micro nikkor, manual focus lens. They sell for $150 or less on ebay. The f2.8 version is even better but typically sells for $75 more.It won't meter or auto focus on the d90, but that isn't as big of deal as you may think. The optics are excellent, and the 105mm focal length gives you a much better operating distance then the shorter macro lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back