Infant Pics

CNCO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question for anyone that has done photos on a newborn. My wife and I are expecting our first baby in 6 weeks. I just got some really nice equipment(see my signature). I was wondering is it true that flash is harmful to a newborn's eye? I was thinking of just taking some photos with natural lighting and go from there. Any ideas????

I was wondering is it true that flash is harmful to a newborn's eye?
Never heard that one.
I'm not a fan of 'natural light' so rarely use it. BUT you can, if you'll get one, turn the flash and bounce that sucker of walls, ceilings, floors, etc etc... :)

I've heard that it is because their eyes are so sensitive, the flash could cause damage. I would recommend natural lighting and if needed change your settings if there isn't enough available light.

When I had newborn shots of our son taken at the hospital, the photographer had a diffuser on her flash, so that may be another option.

I shoot newborns all the time and use flash for all of them. I have necer heard that, besides most newborns are asleep for their photos.

well....If you want nice photos and not snapshots...Turn OFF your flash...that isn't "natural" light....it looks harsh...and since you don't have an external flash listed in your siggy...I'm assuming you're talking about your on- board flash and you can't bounce it. You'll have the best luck taking them when the baby is sleeping, so open up as wide as you can and if you have to, move closer to the window.

Most reactions

Back