The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The various areas of Myanmar have strong ethnic, tribal identities which the people maintain even when they move, much as we do here. There are over 180 recognized tribal identities with their own languages, the largest being the Bamar, from which the name Burma originated. The Shan people live primarily in the Shan States (which are to the east of Mandalay), adjacent states in Myanmar and over the Thailand and China borders, but the Mandalay Division has many Shan who have moved there. The Shan have been engaged in an intermittent civil war within Burma for decades.

If the complex life and internal strife of a very tribal country interest you, I recommend you read this blog post -Inside Hpa An | Blue Apsara of a casual encounter in a rural area in Myanmar that was enlightening. (not written by me, but on wordpress so safe.)

This is a restaurant popular with both locals and some tourists in Mandalay that serves Shan food. Shan food is big on noodles which I love and we went here our first evening in Mandalay.

You can critique these as photos if you like but they really are only snapshots and I post them for info purposes.

BTW, English is the lingua franca and tourist English at least has penetrated everywhere.

p733064752-5.jpg

p918935710-5.jpg

The two guys , blue shirt and white hair, are two of my three traveling companions, both good friends.

p830460800-5.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back