The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I use photographs as aides memoire , to bring back moments that just my one track mind can't populate well.
My friend Norman and I took a bus to Mawlamyine in the south east part of Myanmar to visit a photographer friend, Nyi Zaw. (Mawlamyine is the capital and the largest city in the Mon state and people refer to themselves as Mon people and can be distinguished, by those who know, by the distinctive patterns of their dress.) We got to the bus station at 3:30 AM, attracting a great many stares because Mawlamyine is definitely not a stop for tourists to travel by bus.

The town was very dark and most of what we could see was pools of light under the occasional street light and the Mawlamyine pagoda in the distance.

Rudyard Kipling

[SIZE=+1]BY THE old Moulmein Pagoda, lookin' lazy at the sea,
There's a Burma girl a-settin', and I know she thinks o' me;
For the wind is in the palm-trees, and the temple-bells they say:
"Come you back, you British soldier; come you back to Mandalay! "
Come you back to Mandalay,
Where the old Flotilla lay:
Can't you 'ear their paddles chunkin' from Rangoon to Mandalay ?
On the road to Mandalay,
Where the flyin'-fishes play,
An' the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay! [/SIZE]

Moulmein is the Anglicized version of Mawlamyine (often spelled and pronounced Mawlamyaing)
The poem is odd also because China isn't across the Bay, China is North and East.

p679513748-5.jpg

p554002352-5.jpg

We went up to the Pagoda, now bear in mind this was 4 AM.

p198897259-5.jpg

p135299689-5.jpg

Later that day, we did some sight seeing, attracting a great many looks and outright stares from the locals, who are fairly unused to Western tourists.

p409825511-5.jpg

This was outside a large cave complex that went through the mountain. We returned on a boat that went under the mountain.
p151114075-5.jpg

p839033947-5.jpg

p1458599996-5.jpg

p1470983508-5.jpg

p19602690-5.jpg

p659052879-5.jpg

We did some more sight-seeing, including this totally immense reclining Buddha

p72757877-5.jpg

p1009203185-5.jpg

and ended up with a dinner for my friend and his family.

p428547909-5.jpg

The Burmese in general are a very, very handsome ethnic group. The tone of their skin varies greatly with the tribal background and region. Because they often squat to talk and relax, they remain incredibly flexible. My friend, Nyi Zaw, is in his late 40's and can drop to a squat and bound to his feet with no effort, making me extremely jealous.

My only sadness in seeing these pictures is knowing that I probably won't return. I have been to Myanmar three times already and there is the rest of the world to see.

All are pretty good photo's. Well processed. Really like the row of statues and the head.
Makes one want to travel more.

Some pretty cool scenes and places you've seen. Definitely not like things in North America.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back