What's new

Infra red

Momoko

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 5, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
1
Location
Maidstone, Kent. UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having a play around with a infra red filter

$Friarsbnw1.webp$leedsinfrared1.webp
 
#1 is pure magic, like from fairytale. #2 is a beauty to. The only thing I dislike about it is left upper corner black sky, somehow it doesn't fit the overall picture, appears like black hole, spot without substance, and is distorting the frame of this take.
 
Thanks :-).. maybe I could crop that black sky out the image.
 
#1 is pure magic, like from fairytale. #2 is a beauty to. The only thing I dislike about it is left upper corner black sky, somehow it doesn't fit the overall picture, appears like black hole, spot without substance, and is distorting the frame of this take.

I do not mind the sky. What bothers me is that nether have sharp focus.
 
That looks more like the camera shake as I can't see how focus could be missed in any of them. Infrared usually require a bit longer exposure so maybe tripod is not that stable or maybe VR was left on. This blur has nothing to do with focusing or DoF, it is too uniform.
 
That looks more like the camera shake as I can't see how focus could be missed in any of them. Infrared usually require a bit longer exposure so maybe tripod is not that stable or maybe VR was left on. This blur has nothing to do with focusing or DoF, it is too uniform.
Really? Looking at the second image full size, look at the windows on the lower floor farthest back. The vertical lines of the frames and mullions seem reasonably sharp and I don't see any sign of the 'ghosting' that I normally associate with camera movement.
 
I really like the castle the best. It's an awesome location...

I also was a little surprised at the comments on soft focus -- until I zoomed in. It isn't as sharp as it could be and almost looks like you applied too much noise reduction (which I don't undertand, why would you need noise reduction)?

Unless maybe you are doing a really long exposure? You're not shooting with infared film, or an effect, and you haven't changed your camera's infared sensor?

That would explain the look, and it seems to me that you might want to consider getting rid of the infared filter on your camera's sensor... :D
 
That looks more like the camera shake as I can't see how focus could be missed in any of them. Infrared usually require a bit longer exposure so maybe tripod is not that stable or maybe VR was left on. This blur has nothing to do with focusing or DoF, it is too uniform.
Really? Looking at the second image full size, look at the windows on the lower floor farthest back. The vertical lines of the frames and mullions seem reasonably sharp and I don't see any sign of the 'ghosting' that I normally associate with camera movement.
On my screen the image appears equally soft everywhere, like shot with a pinhole. On such a long distance it is impossible to not to catch something in focus. Maybe if you place your focus 3 feet from the camera but I don't see how someone would do such a mistake with landscape shot. So what are you saying ? The lens is so soft, that borders with a garbage ? Or flange distance is incorrect ? Or infrared filter was so dirty it acted like diffusing filter ?
There is ongoing mix up with this terms: focus and sharpness (perceived). If you place focus on the front (close end) of the building, everything else will be out of focus. And so on. So how focus could be improved ?
 
ok well you all confused me to be honest.. this is a photo of the same scene on the same tripod with the infra red filter off.. is this not sharp either? because if it isnt then there is something wrong with my D3100 auto focus?
$castleleeds.webp
 
I don't think we are too confused, I never said it is a focus problem. Your IF pictures are just very soft and devoid of detail like bricks in the wall, but window frames seem to be sharp. Nothing wrong with your camera AF, it is more of a question how well is the sensor in your Nikon protected against IR light. Some good info about IF digital photography:
wrotniak.net: Infrared Photography with a Digital Camera
 
ok well you all confused me to be honest.. this is a photo of the same scene on the same tripod with the infra red filter off.. is this not sharp either? because if it isnt then there is something wrong with my D3100 auto focus?
View attachment 32280


The visible only image looks sharp. at 100% view, there is detail in the bricks of the building. The Infrared image: not sharp, the bricks are blurred.

Multiple possible reasons:

1) F-Stop, because the IR Blocking filter in the camera removes 99%+ of IR light, the lens is near wide-open. You need to keep it at F8 or F11
2) Long exposure, so some camera shake blurs the image
3) Lens was not "re-focused" for the Infrared. Infrared light comes to a focus at a different spot than visible light. Most lenses: you focus with the normal methods, what you or the camera can see. Then you have to re-adjust the focus using a Scale to show where the IR would be in focus.

I use an Olympus EP2 with the IR blocking filter removed. Back to being able to see what the focus actually is.
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom