Infrared Filters

Mainiac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been wanting an infrared filter for some time after seeing some of the awesome infrared pictures posted here.And after doing some research I have a few questions to ask.

I've been looking at the Hoya R72 (which it seems that most people on this site use) but i'm not too crazy about the price. For a smaller lens the price is alright but for the size of the lens I have (72mm) the price goes up to $150.

I read that the Kodak Wratten 89b is equivelent to the Hoya R72.Is this true? And does this filter work as well as the R72? Would it work with my camera?(Rebel Xt) Or would I be better off spending the extra money and getting the Hoya R72?

Thanks

The awesome IR pictures posted from time to time are enough to get many folks salivating. It also leads to the same questions being asked again and again.

So . . . is there anyone out there who's willing to put together a primer on IR photography? Kind of a simple 'cookbook' approach so that newbees to the technique can expect to achieve success?

If so, it can be posted on this site as a guide to anyone interested in the technique.

I have to hijak a thread - but how do you know what "MM" filter to use? Does that refer to the max focal length of the lens you have?

Ive got a 24-105 Sigma lens - any help is appreciated.

RM72 and R72 are the same thing. Most people just use R72.

Look on the inside of your lens cap, or around the front edge of the lens.

You should see something like this "ø52mm".

The Wratten 89b is the same as the Hoya R72 which is sometimes written as RM72.

I ran into someone online before who didn't want to spend the money on a large R72 filter so he bought the Wratten 89b. It's a gel and as such very flimsy and difficult to shoot with in the wind. I would recommend checking out Cokin because they make a rigid 89b filter out of optical resin (it's a square) which if memory serves costs around $70 and would be easier to handle than a gel filter. Just search bhphoto.com or any other decent photography site for "cokin infrared" and you'll find results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back