Infrared question...

punkrockatielsmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First thing...this isnt but wish it was. I dont have a camera that will do it and I've been trying to figure out ways to make it look infrared-ish. I use photoimpact, not photoshop so Im a bit more limited than some of you...and also - I don't use levels, masks... um....most of the things people use with digital. I don't know why, just never learned...

so - this isnt done and its more about the technique than the actual shot... Its from a color shot. I know there are issues with the image itself and I did a few things to it besides my pseudo-infrared attempts.

you think this would fool anyone? and if not could you tell me why not so maybe i can fix it...

tree2sm.jpg

Hi Punkrock! Well, I'm not a fan of IR , but love the effect it has on trees in shots, and thats as far as it goes for me lol..

but here's a link that may help you out on IR and Digital... incl. Filters/ pointers/ etc.. good luck..

http://echeng.com/photo/infrared/tutorial/

Than does it look more like a colored black and white?

yes and no. there's white, black, and some color, but it fails as a 'colored black and white' simply on the merits of what makes a black and white photograph successful. as an attempt at ir, it misses in consistency. the areas in which you chose to blow out the highlights in an attempt to duplicate an ir effect aren't consistent.

i shoot an awful lot of ir, but mostly in the studio. years ago this young lady posted an ir image that was shot on film and posted as it was printed in the darkroom. i'm certain that you understand the effects of ir since you are attempting to duplicate them, but you need to keep an eye on the consistency (ir is unpredictable, but it is consistent in how objects within the image react). take a visit to her page. navigate to

galleries -> fine art prints -> page 2 see 'fountain'

take a look at the 'objects' in her photograph (leaves, tree bark, water droplets, etc.) and take note of how each reacts to ir.

your image also appears to be very 'soft'. almost water painterly.

Motcon,

thank you for ALL of this...its why I didnt post in the gallery.

I will take a look at the the shots you suggest - thanks for these.

As for it looking painterly. Yes, it probably would. After I did what I did to move the green to a more infra red look, I went on to do more than just make it a photo. There was probably a point where it would have looked more like a suitable B and W... I know I went past that.

Perhaps this was the wrong photo to submit first because I do alot of things that in the end arent primarly photos. I print on different papers - collage over photos...transfer images which in the end, really are no more than ghost images and if judging on the merits of a photo - would not be very good at all.

So I probably wasnt clear and also could have picked a better choice... and thank you. I will check out the pictures you suggested. I like the effect very much.

New England,
thanks for the reply - its very hard to be new :) sometimes you put things out there...and well, you know.... Your just new

I think since I dont have the abilty to do infrared I end up going for 'an effect.' ....and since its not the actual effect you can get if you have the equipt i go for the effect that infrared has on me - emotionally.

If that makes sense. The ethereal look that brings this sense of....well, something :)

Thanks for the link!! Ill be checking it out....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back