What's new

Inside the Cathedral at Dusk

binga63, it's a little dark for my tastes. How long was the exposure? You really can't tell that it is a Cathedral. Possibly a little longer exposure would have worked. (I'm not a long exposure expert, just a thought).
 
I like that one, too. I can see your point on the first one. I went back to look at it after seeing this one and I see what you were going for. Then my mind wondered what that first one would look like with a 3 or 5 shot HDR?
 
The shadows accentuate depth perception here, and I especially like the second one. HDR church photos are fine, but they're a bit overdone and they don't give dimension and mood like these do. Nice work.
 
The detail and sense of being there I get from this pic is really outstanding I really like both images especially having seen both they really compliment one another.
 
Thank you all for the lovely comments... I did hdr versions as well but I preferred the single shots over the hdr's... I agree with Fanboy that Church have been over hdr'd
 
I think you brought it up a little too much. I think just a few points would have been fine, but honestly... I was ok with it as it was.

Let me just say that I opened this up and went "wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."

This is PHENOMENAL. I don't mean to give qualitative assessments like that on people's pictures. I generally try not to, but I can't help it here. This is GREAT.

One small nit, though... it LOOKS like it might be slightly titled. Not sure if it's just a trick of the eye.
 
Wait... that first one and the second one... they look like they have different tilt/perspectives... the first one is better, IMO, but needs a slight tilt. The second one... I think the perspective hurts it a little. Try adjusting the first one and adding MERELY a few points to exposure/brightness.
 
Wait... that first one and the second one... they look like they have different tilt/perspectives... the first one is better, IMO, but needs a slight tilt. The second one... I think the perspective hurts it a little. Try adjusting the first one and adding MERELY a few points to exposure/brightness.
Thank you Manaheim
The first and second ones are the left side and right side views of the hallways which surround the central walkway.. the left side being brightly lit by the setting sun and the right not so much :) ... I wasn't allowed to use a tripod, and I agree the tilt of the second ruins it a little, but I was using the image to illustrate that I had taken lighter shots

Does this shot balance the darker image?


Bendigo Cathedral by Binga63, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
I really like these as well. Great comments too. In my opinion you can't beat playing with light in this way.
I would go back again and again.
 
too bright, IMO... loses the drama.

What concerns me about this is you're waffling a bit... what is YOUR vision for this image? You have to decide that, execute on that, and then stand by it. Certainly take the feedback and make tweaks here and there. We all can use adjustments on our execution now and again... but the different images you are showing have a TOTALLY different mood and message, and to me that says that you're not totally sure what YOU are trying to convey.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom