Instagram photo uploading settings for SLRs

TNHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I share my photos mostly on Facebook, and now Instagram seems to be taking over the social media sphere.

I know both are really not ideal photo sharing sites (tech-wise), but you have to go where the audience is...

Anyway - I had just gotten used to my favorite Lightroom preset for Facebook uploading (2048 pixels on the long edge with standard sharpening applied and some vibrance tweaks)

On Instagram though, I'm lost. I've heard you have to really reduce the pixel count in order to allow the uploads to not be crunched in a nasty way. If I take my standard Facebook setting, and use it for Instagram, the upload looks fine on my phone, but on the Instagram site, it looks pretty weak.

Has anybody found a preset that they love?

To reiterate, I hate Instagram as a photo sharing site, but I still want to have my pics on there for discoverability.

(Btw - I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark iii and usually the 24-105L lens)

Thanks to all of you!
Tom

the image is so small on IG and really Idon't think anyone cares about quality.. it is the home of the crappy filter after all. I use my FB settings and Pic-Stitch to upload and haven't noticed anything weird. @wsgphotography

I just use the same settings I use for the FB uploads.

It's the same file, actually, haha.

I do the same thing you do... 2048px on the long side and sharpening.

I could care less how they look on the Instagram site... no one is going to Instagram's website to view images. It's all on their mobile devices. What's the point of Instagram otherwise? :lol:

Like you said... Know you're audience... and know that they don't care 1. How the quality looks on the instagram site, because 2. They're not going there to view you're work. They're using the app. :sillysmi:

Thanks guys. Confirms what I was thinking.

Any thoughts on white borders? Do you all use apps like InstaSize to add white borders?

I have been cropping my images to the square size since I didn't want to make my photos any smaller, but I'm starting to get annoyed by the cropping...

@tomhopke

What exporter are you all using in LR to publish to Instagram??

i post my photos on flickr, then save them to my phone. then i use an app called square ready. it allows you to upload to instagram the full photo without having to square crop it and lose quality.

Thanks guys. Confirms what I was thinking.

Any thoughts on white borders? Do you all use apps like InstaSize to add white borders?

I have been cropping my images to the square size since I didn't want to make my photos any smaller, but I'm starting to get annoyed by the cropping...

@tomhopke

I use square droid app.

This allows me to upload a complete uncroped image to instagram. It will square off the image by adding borders and I generally choose white.

instagram account: urbanreflectionlls

Most reactions

Back