Interested in Photography

b3@ut1ful_d1s@st3r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of making photography a career. I've never used a professional camera, I don't have any experience, and I've never taken any photography classes before. I just like to take pictures with my digital camera and I like to take pictures. How do I start off at becoming a professional photographer. Should I apprentice or should i go to college and take classes. I'm completely lost on how to get the ball rolling to becoming a phootgrapher. Can someone explain photography basics to me?

:gah:

The basics, build up your arsenal. At least learn as much as you can about artistic photography and at least get a SLR first. To see if you like it. Get a good understanding of colors, composition, camera settings, SLR everything basically. THEN and only then, try and see if you still want to persue. It is much more complicated than people usually presume.

Mark

Taking a course in photography will help.
There are many, many things to know about using the tools ... ie camera, lighting, printing ... and about working with objects and people.

You get more feedback from a course.

The world of professional photography is vast ... portrait, wildlife, landscapes, industrial, commercial ... books, calendars, wedding, brochures, magazines ...

The basics, build up your arsenal. At least learn as much as you can about artistic photography and at least get a SLR first. To see if you like it. Get a good understanding of colors, composition, camera settings, SLR everything basically. THEN and only then, try and see if you still want to persue. It is much more complicated than people usually presume.

Mark
+1 on Mark get a dslr, shoot around with it for a while, and see if u like it and think you would like to stick with it

Also, check prices on DSLR's, and all the many types of lenses. Then look at Photoshop CS4 prices, then look at external harddrives, look at all the accessories, flash, tripod, bag, filters, etc etc. that is what throws many people off. try that.

Mark

Photography is about mentally visualizing what you see/sense ... then having the technical ability to produce a print/image that reflects that mental vision.

Become a friggin awesome serious hobbiest first.

Keep in mind, it's not cheap. Sure you can get a $400 camera with lens and call yourself a pro, but without spending time to learn and spending money on gear, you'll never be as good as some one that has knowledge and equipment.

I'm thinking of making photography a career. I've never used a professional camera, I don't have any experience, and I've never taken any photography classes before. I just like to take pictures with my digital camera and I like to take pictures. How do I start off at becoming a professional photographer. Should I apprentice or should i go to college and take classes. I'm completely lost on how to get the ball rolling to becoming a phootgrapher. Can someone explain photography basics to me?

:gah:

Do you live in an area, or are willing to move to an area in which photography could provide you with a good income?

i live in an area where I can make a decent amount of money but not a fortune. I'm okay with that.

I have a feeling I'll have to take some basic classes. I like to take pics of just about everything so I'm not sure if I could just choose one thing to take pics of. yes, photography sounds a lot more complicated than it seems. I'm just getting into the idea of photography but I know I will come to love it as I learn more about it. What is free lance photography and what are your opinions on it?....someone I know said that I would have to major in art and minor in photography to learn how to be good at it. Is that true or do most people just take photography basics and do their own thing?

I'll definitely check out the cameras listed. by the way, im a newb to this, what is a SLR?

by the way, im a newb to this, what is a SLR?

Make sure you can afford it. It's an expensive hobby, even without buying "pro" equipment. Not only do you have to purchase the camera body, but also multiple lenses, filters, backup body, flashes, memory, batteries, tons of software...

A SLR is "Single Lens Reflex" or DSLR is "Digital Single Lens Reflex" = Camera with interchangeable lenses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back