International flight w/ a tripod

Dominic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone brought a tripod onboard as part of their carry-on baggage (e.g. mounted to the outside of a pack)? Specifics; International US - Japan, set of tripod legs (which do not extend past the top or bottom of the TSA-size-approved bag). Just wondering if checking it would be the more painless route (barring they don't lose it). Thanks.

Has anyone brought a tripod onboard as part of their carry-on baggage (e.g. mounted to the outside of a pack)? Specifics; International US - Japan, set of tripod legs (which do not extend past the top or bottom of the TSA-size-approved bag). Just wondering if checking it would be the more painless route (barring they don't lose it). Thanks.
Sounds like you're in the "iffy" area. Call your airline and ask them.

I pack my tripod in a checked suitcase when I fly internationally. Had to open it twice for a manual customs check upon arrival in the past 5 years – since it shows up clearly on their scanners. Doing on average 5/6 international trips per year with it.
Twice out of, say, about 60 arrivals are good odds, imho.

Camera gear and laptop, stuff that should not be knocked/shocked, always stays with me in the cabin, in a backpack or a carry-on roller.

Lowepro has nice products.

Most reactions

Back