International Travel

Yeah, Air Berlin does NOT care about the TSA, if anything us Europeans are a little tired of Americans assuming their rules are better than ours. :)

Look, get a reasonable back-pack, and put your camera gear and carry-on in it. It's possible to travel with one bag. There are parts of your camera gear that don't need to be on you when you fly... batteries and chargers, for instance. All you really care about are lenses and bodies. Also, if you're bringing three books to read on this trip, carry one and check the other two.

This is not rocket science.

My suggestion is: If you are a Pole just don't take any bugs because i heard about the discrimination against the Poles at the border.

Just kidding! Get the equipment and come to make beautiful pictures!

OK so I found some information from TSA (TSA: Photographic Equipment & Film). People say to print this out and show at the airport when you have any troubles. Also before you enter the plane at the gate they might ask you to check you bag in but it is very unlikely and if something you can show its photo equipment and show the paper from TSA. Hope I dont have any problems :D

Sorry but did you even look at the site you linked to:

The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

Air carriers may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your air carrier prior to arriving at the airport.

This is not a recommendation to the airlines, it's a recommendation to YOU. Now go to your airline's website and read THEIR rules!

This piece of paper will change nothing for you. Incase this still doesn't make sense let me tell you about taking a camera overseas:
- Seattle: I was asked what I needed all the camera equipment for
- Vancouver: I was taken aside for additional screening, no camera questions asked, but it was just after they saw the camera equipment in my bag.
- Paris: Didn't care.
- Prague: Didn't care.
- Vienna: Took a long hard look, but didn't care much.
- Munich: Was asked to completely dismantle the camera, remove all lens caps, and body caps. Was asked to take a photo, and show the working flash and that all lenses work.

- Sydney to Brisbane: Told my camera gear was overweight and couldn't be taken on the plane. Rearranged my bag.
- Munich to Paris: My camera bag didn't fit in the compartment so the stewart moved my bag into the garment locker on the plane.
- Vancouver to Sydney: Everything fitted and they didn't even look twice at the fact I had 3 bags on carry on.

So CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE!

Sorry but did you even look at the site you linked to:
I did. I saw on another website that the TSA rules sheet always worked for them when they had to use it at the gate on different airlines. I am planning to have one carryo on and the camera bag on me. I'm only worried since my camera bag is 1 kg top heavy, and i'm planning to get the 24-70 before I leave, which is another 1-1.5 kg.

Most reactions

Back