Internet service?

techniker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for some perspective/advice regarding internet service.

I recently purchased a Virgin Mobile wireless hotspot and for $35 I get to use 10 GB of data transfer, at what I was told should be 3-6 Mbps, on the 3G/4G network, after which the transfer rate is limited to approximately 2 Mbps for the remainder of the month or until I pay for more data. I am a little confused by the estimated data transfer rates (3-6, reduced to two) and the actual transfer rates (25-54) shown on my WLAN utility. I feel that maybe what I am seeing (25-54 Mbps) is the transfer rate between the hotspot and my computer and doesn't necessarily reflect the actual amount of data being sent back and forth. The reason I'm a little skeptical about data rates is because I have trouble loading webpages with a lot of images, videos and connection problems/high ping while playing online games.

I am trying to weight the pros and cons of this service. Can someone help quantify the data rates in terms of something I can understand? At no surprise to me, all the sales reps (not just virgin mobile) expressed that everything from .5 Mbps to 100 Mbps would be perfect for downloading videos, surfing the web and checking email! If I use more than 10GB in a month and start paying $50 or more a month for 3-6 Mbps, it would make sense to get a different service. I use the WIFI at the university library as much as I can to keep data transfer down but it's not always convenient.

I can purchase DSL service through Verizon at a rate of $35/month @ .5-1 Mbps or $45/month for 1.1-15 Mbps, which both include basic telephone service, which I don't need but at least it would give me a chance to use my restored antique rotary dial. No contract required. They will do not offer closed loop DSL.

Comcast offers cable internet service at 6 Mbps @ $50/month, 20 Mbps @ $35/month for the first six months, $50/month 7-12 and $62/month after that, or 50 Mbps @ $60/month for the first six and increases to $72/month after that. Not sure about contract.

I tried Earthlink, complete nightmare. No service for 1-1/2 months (never received service), charged for service twice, change the monthly rate without telling me, received two modems but no router, customer service hang ups, insulted over the phone, etc. Still trying to get all my money back.

Looks like I'm getting screwed no matter what, LOL! I appreciate any advice.

I'm not quite sure where the frowning smiley in the title came from.

I have found Comcast to be the least amount of pain... and you usually get a little over half of what they promise, which is better than their competitors bandwidth wise!

How did you test the bandwidth on the wireless connection?

I average around this using Speakeasy... on the high end Comcast...
$Capture.JPG

This is relatively recent...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/11/technology/innovation/netflix-internet-rankings/index.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back