Intro- Old Guy never owned a camera until six months ago

Delfuego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have never been into photography. Heck, I never owned a camera until 6 mo ago. I spent two years in Europe and I only took 4 pictures with my sister's point and shoot camera when I was stationed in Germany as a young man.

I bought my wife a DSLR last Christmas to replace a Canon DSLR that she ruined in Cuba a couple of months prior. She never did quite like the quality of the pictures she took with the Canon. I did a lot of research and ended up getting her a Nikon D5300 with four lenses (af-p 18-55mm VR, af-p 70-300mm, 55-200mm VRII, af-s 18-140mm, and 35mm 1.8). I thought I had covered the right bases. Along the way, during my research, I found that the technical details of taking pictures and composition really interested me. So, I naturally wanted to put my new found knowledge to use by taking pictures with my wife's new camera. Unfortunately, my wife is stingy, and didn't let me use her camera. So, I threatened that I was going to buy my own camera, and I did. I also vowed that I was going to take better pictures than her.

So, my D5300 came in on 2/25/17, and I stole her 18-55mm, 70-300mm, and the 35mm 1.8. She was content with the 18-140mm because it allowed her to not have to swap out lenses for the type of photography she does (Soccer and Dance).

Anyway, fast forward six months. The 55-200mm is gone and both the 18-55 and 70-300 do not get used. I ended up buying and selling a Tamron 10-24mm (I couldn’t compose good shots), buying an 85mm 1.8, and just recently got the 18-140mm because it is very versatile. I only use my camera in manual or aperture mode. People have hired me to take senior pictures for their kids (four times) because they like my work. Not too bad for a newbie. By the way, I now take better pictures than my wife, and she hates it. :)

Thanks for reading this post,

-Delfuego

Welcome to TPF
a love /hate relationship I read is fostering ... LOL

It's good that you have learned so much so quickly. Now time to try and share you knowledge with you wife.

Welcome to TPF

It's good that you have learned so much so quickly. Now time to try and share you knowledge with you wife.

My wife and I have always been very competitive with each other to a fault.

Welcome to TPF

O.K., so now here's what you do: Get her signed up as a member on here. Each of you post a photograph for C&C. Whichever one gets the most positive comments wins. Whoever wins gets some new gear. Repeat weekly.

Welcome to TPF

O.K., so now here's what you do: Get her signed up as a member on here. Each of you post a photograph for C&C. Whichever one gets the most positive comments wins. Whoever wins gets some new gear. Repeat weekly.
or who ever loses wins new gear, because that *always* helps :)

Most reactions

Back