Intro to photography class?

DisasterDan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so while i was looking around for some new classes i ran across an intro to photography, digital photography to be exact. I was wondering if these types of classes are worth the money, it would only be about $150? Has anyone taken a "Intro" photo class at the JC level? If so was it worth it, or could i go pick up and ten dollar book and get the same information? Thanks for any input its always appreciated.

Most likely a beginner's class will cover shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and maybe composition.... a book will probably teach you more... unless you feel you learn better hands on.

Any good class mentions topic matter. If "picking your new camera 101" is listed, don't bother. If it's info concerning what BekahAura mentioned, then sure, they're fun, connect you with other 'togs, and get you some time with an expert.

A lot of camera shops offer similiar classes that run around $25 for one night a week with more hands on instruction. Might check with your local store.

Yeah i emailed the professor about his class and he said this "I get students ranging from knowing nothing at all to students who know what everything is and does but are not quite sure how to use them properly (Which is me :D). Based on this i teach students separately depending on skill level since the class size stays small i am able to do this..blah blah blah" Anywho it sounds like im going to do it, i mean just some hands on experience with a professional photographer is $150 worth alone to me. I should of emailed him before posting the thread hehe :meh: but thanks for the replies!

A lot of camera shops offer similiar classes that run around $25 for one night a week with more hands on instruction. Might check with your local store.

I wasnt aware of that :0 im going to check on that first, thanks for the suggestion!

I teach a class called using your DSLR....and I think it's a great course.
We cover many of the main features/controls of the camera, like Auto Focus modes, Metering modes etc. Of course we cover the basics of exposure; shutter speed, aperture and ISO, but we also go into great depth with metering. How to go from a working exposure to proper exposure. Right from the start, the course is geared to teaching people how to shoot in manual mode. It also has a ton of in-class exercises, so it's very hands-on.

I think it comes down to how you learn best. Some people can pick up a book and learn all that they need to know, while other people could read the book 10 times and still not have it sink in. Others can learn by interacting with people on forums like this, or just reading many websites....and there really isn't anything that you'll learn in class, that you can't get from somewhere else. But most people also learn best when they are in a face to face setting, and then they are forced/encouraged to go through the exercises themselves.

Some of the more advanced students, who come into class knowing most of the material, tell me that it took them months or longer to learn all the stuff we cover in 12 hours of class time.

Id say go for it, seems that your professor is quite a bit more knowledgeable than mine was. I took an intro to DSLR at my local community college, and he taught us how to put the battery/mem card in, and that we shouldn't in RAW b/c it takes up way too much space, lol

I did a coarse at college years ago very cheap but i only went on it because the college had a fantastic studio and darkroom and also the library had one of the best photography section in the country

What I would care most about in a beginner photography class is the hands on experience -- the chance to set up shots, learn lighting techniques and have your actual work critiqued and improved upon. You should find out if there will be any sort of studio time w/ actual lighting and backdrops, field trips, etc. I could read the best books out there, but it wouldn't stick with me. I could be told exactly how to do something or watch a video, then try it on my own, and still not get it. I need to actually have someone there showing me how to do it before I get it. It all depends on how you learn.

What I would care most about in a beginner photography class is the hands on experience -- the chance to set up shots, learn lighting techniques and have your actual work critiqued and improved upon. You should find out if there will be any sort of studio time w/ actual lighting and backdrops, field trips, etc.
I'd think that those types of things are beyond a 'beginner' course...especially if the students don't have a good understanding of more basic things like focus, metering and especially exposure.

I don't want to sound too much like a commercial, but the school I teach for, also has a great class (that I teach) called 'Using Light, principles and practices', which is taught in a studio with lots of hands-on stuff. But we usually recommend that students take the 'Using your DSLR' course first (although it's not a strict requirement).

I'm taking a day long intro class tomorrow. Since I've been using a camera for years, my expectations for the class are low. But the school requires the intro class to be taken before the more interesting classes (lighting, portraits, etc.) can be taken. The added cost of gaining the more advanced knowledge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back